BizTalk solution without bindings

Topics: Bindings File, Settings Management and SSO
Jun 28, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Hi,

Is ist possible to configure the solution not to use any bindings. I have a "common" biztalk project that contains only schemas that are referenced from other applications (and has its own MSI), so no need for the Excel or XML configuration files and the PortBinding-Files.

Also I'd like not to start/stop/restart any host instances.

Thanks, Eljakim

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Not sure on the bindings, but what about setting this to false? 

<IncludeMessagingBindings>true</IncludeMessagingBindings>

As to the host instances, you can specify which ones to bounce.  I assume you can have an empty list, but haven't exactly tried that either:

<ItemGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'Server'">
        <!-- We name our host(s) explicitly to avoid having the framework bounce them all. -->
        <BizTalkHosts Include="BizTalkServerApplication" />
    </ItemGroup>

Neal Walters 

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2010 at 11:25 PM

<IncludeMessageBindings>false</IncludeMessageBindings> is correct, but please use the latest release.

I'm not sure that you'll be able to get away with no host instance restarts.  If you don't specify anything in BizTalkHosts, then the Deployment Framework applies its default of All.  If you put one BizTalkHosts entry with an invalid host name, I'm afraid that it will be treated as a failure in the script -- but I'd give that a try.  As you probably know, the host instances cache data and hold onto assembly references, so it is usually not a good idea to skip the restarts.

Thanks,
Tom

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:17 AM

I'm using <IncludeMessageBindings>false</IncludeMessageBindings> right now and the effect is, that the excel file and the bindings file must be present and will be put into the msi, but are not put to use in the deploy process. I also removed the environment-selection from the install-wizard, so thats pretty ok. I still do have some unnecessary files in the msi, but I can live with that.

Yes, skipping the host instances can be a problem, but not in my case. I have to install our "common" before the real application which restarts its host instances (and knows which to restart). Momentarily I just restart the default BizTalkServerApplication so that it does take as less time as possible and maybe I'll make a change to the targets file ;-)

thx

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2010 at 3:46 PM

If you look at the HelloWorld sample, it does not include the spreadsheet at all.  You can add <EnableXmlPreprocess>false</EnableXmlPreprocess> to your .btdfproj and simply delete the EnvironmentSettings folder.  On the 5.0.18 release, you should not get the bindings file in your MSI when you include <IncludeMessageBindings>false</IncludeMessageBindings>.

Thanks,
Tom

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:26 AM

Works smoothly! tnx