IncludeVirtualDirectories

Topics: IIS and Web Services
Jul 13, 2010 at 10:25 PM

This may prove short-sighted, but in our current production environment BtsHttpReceive.dll is deployed to the root of the default web site, not a virtual directory.  Can the deployment framework account for this scenario now or in the future, or should I just handle it in the CustomDeployTarget either using IncludeVirtualDirectories and URL routing or custom tasks to place it in the root?

Vercellone

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Is it going to be an issue when you have multiple apps going through the Deployment Framework?  If each deployment puts that file in the root and it's shared, then deploy/undeploy will have effects beyond a single app.  Are you still intending to create any vdirs, or just point to the root?

Jul 13, 2010 at 11:30 PM

We currently only have one party accessing BtsHttpReceive.dll externally.  They are accessing it from the root at http://b2b.[companyname].com/BtsHttpReceive.dll.  It would be nice if the URL didn't change for their sake.  But, given the implications I suppose it is best to change now rather than later.

Plus, I think I can probably set up IIS7 to map ~/BtsHttpReceive.dll requests to ~/[VDir]/BtsHttpReceive.dll as an interim solution.

Coordinator
Jul 14, 2010 at 4:42 AM

The mapping should be very easy to set up with IIS7.  If the built in capabilities aren't enough, you can use URL Rewrite.  It's probably best to deploy to a vdir in conjunction with the mapping.

Tom