Quick Deploy BizTalk Solution Troubleshooting?

Topics: General Questions
Jul 27, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I am making minimal changes to my orchestration[s].  Specifically, BAM API calls from expression code based roughly on the BAMFromExpression BizTalk sample, except using OrchestrationEventStream.  A seemingly successful Quick Deploy action does not appear to be working.  The results of my changes aren't being realized unless I do a full redeploy.  What critical step[s] am I missing to make the quick deploy work?  Below is the quick deploy output.

Thanks,

Vercellone

Starting build...
c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\MSBuild.exe "C:\TFSDEVEL\Solutions Development\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO\2.1\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Deployment\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Deployment.btdfproj" /nologo /t:UpdateOrchestration /p:Configuration=Release

Build started 7/27/2010 3:08:02 PM.
Project "C:\TFSDEVEL\Solutions Development\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO\2.1\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Deployment\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Deployment.btdfproj" on node 0 (UpdateOrchestration target(s)).
  Running on Windows V60
  Detected IIS 7
GetSoftwarePaths:
  Using .NET Framework Install Path 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727'.
  Using BizTalk Install Path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2009\'.
  Using Deployment Framework Install Path 'C:\Program Files\Deployment Framework for BizTalk\5.0\'.
  Using Deployment Framework Tools Path 'C:\Program Files\Deployment Framework for BizTalk\5.0\Framework\DeployTools'.
InitSettingsFilePath:
  Using settings file C:\TFSDEVEL\Solutions Development\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO\2.1\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Deployment\EnvironmentSettings\local_settings.xml
ExportSettings:
  Environment Settings Spreadsheet to XML Exporter 1.5.1
  [http://EnvSettingsManager.codeplex.com]
  Copyright (C) 2007-10 Thomas F. Abraham.  All Rights Reserved.

Importing from SettingsFileGenerator.xml...

Output format is XmlPreprocess (multi-file).

Exporting to local_settings.xml...
  Exporting to DEVL_settings.xml...
  Exporting to PREP_settings.xml...
  Exporting to PROD_settings.xml...

Finished.
InitializeAppName:
  BizTalk Application Name is [CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO
UndeployOrchestrations:
  Adding assembly name '[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Orchestrations, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e05684c3b399afc2' to item group.
  Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility.  Version 2.0.50727.42
  Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Assembly: [CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Orchestrations, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e05684c3b399afc2, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Uninstalled: [CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Orchestrations, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e05684c3b399afc2, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Number of assemblies uninstalled = 1
  Number of failures = 0
UndeployTransforms:
  Adding assembly name '[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Transforms, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e05684c3b399afc2' to item group.

Assembly: [CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Transforms, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e05684c3b399afc2, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Uninstalled: [CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Transforms, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e05684c3b399afc2, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Number of failures = 0
UndeploySchemas:
  Adding assembly name '[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Schemas, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e05684c3b399afc2' to item group.

Assembly: [CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Schemas, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e05684c3b399afc2, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Uninstalled: [CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Schemas, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e05684c3b399afc2, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Number of failures = 0
DeploySchemas:

Assembly successfully added to the cache
DeployExternalAssemblies:
  Deploying external assemblies...

Finished deploying external assemblies.
UndeployPipelines:
  Adding assembly name '[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Pipelines, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e05684c3b399afc2' to item group.

Assembly: [CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Pipelines, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e05684c3b399afc2, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Uninstalled: [CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Pipelines, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e05684c3b399afc2, processorArchitecture=MSIL
  Number of failures = 0
DeployPipelines:

DeployTransforms:

DeployOrchestrations:

BounceBizTalk:

Attempting stop...

Internet services successfully stopped

Attempting start...

Internet services successfully restarted

BounceAllBizTalkHosts:
  Host list (BizTalkHosts ItemGroup) not customized.
  Stopping and starting: BizTalkServerApplication on AFW01VDEVBIZ01
Done Building Project "C:\TFSDEVEL\Solutions Development\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO\2.1\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Deployment\[CompanyNameOmitted].BizTalk.MRO.Deployment.btdfproj" (UpdateOrchestration target(s)).

Build succeeded.
    0 Warning(s)
    0 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:15.83

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Are you using the BAM API through a class library, or all inside the orchestration?  (By the way, have you seen http://generatetypedbamapi.codeplex.com/ for using the BAM API?)

If you are truly not making any changes outside of code in an expression shape, then yes, the quick deploy should do the trick.  I use it all the time when editing expression shape code.  Are you possibly in Release instead of Debug?

Thanks,
Tom

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:23 PM

ugh!  Yeah, sorry to say that I am in Release mode!

I did run across generatetypedbamapi this afternoon, but I haven't dug into it yet.  Honestly, I had more trouble with namespaces and xpath expressions than the BAM API calls themselves.  But, I certainly see the benefit of generating a strongly typed bam api.  I will look into it if my code breaks again (I just got it working moments ago).

Thanks,
Vercellone