This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Orchestrations are missing

Topics: General Questions
Sep 7, 2010 at 7:26 PM

I incrementally build a deployment, adding on each artifact type progressively. Everything works fine until I get to the orchestrations.

There is the instruction ...

<IncludeOrchestrations>true</IncludeOrchestrations>

... and an item group ...

<ItemGroup>
        <Orchestrations Include="ACS.BizTalk.QRY_T12_24_EMR.Shared.Orchestrations.dll">
            <LocationPath>..\Projects\ProjectName.Orchs\bin\$(Configuration)</LocationPath>
        </Orchestrations>
    </ItemGroup>

In the msi build I see evidence of it getting picked up ...

Copying file from "..\Projects\ProjectName.Orchs\bin\Debug\ProjectName.Orchs.dll" to "obj\Debug\redist\ProjectName.Orchs.dll".

In the deployment results there is no mention of it. I do though see that one of the other artifacts, which is in schemas item group does also carry an orchestration which gets saved and shows up in the admin console after deployment. However the others do not. Any initial thoughts before blasting a wall of text?

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Are you seeing the DeployOrchestrations task being referenced in the MSBuild output when you do a local deploy from Visual Studio?  You should always get a local deploy working first, then try the server deploy MSI.  Are you sure that the DLL has not been deployed into BizTalk already, for instance with the built-in Visual Studio BizTalk Deploy feature?

Thanks,
Tom

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:34 PM

My process has been to build 1) BTDF MSI locally 2) Install and Deploy it locally 3) Verify/Examine 4) Delete application, uninstall. Also, I have not been doing any deployments from the IDE (Visual Studio BizTalk Deploy).

Checking the deploy results, I don't see any mention of "DeployOrchestrations". However i see one orchestration saved from an assembly deployed with schemas ...

Saved orchestration "HL7XXX.GenerateACKMessage"

But no others ...

I did verify under all artifacts that it does not exist.

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Are you aware of the Visual Studio Tools\Deployment Framework for BizTalk menu items and toolbar?  The typical process during development is to use the BTDF tools in Visual Studio to speed your development cycle and test your deployment.  That said, using the MSI locally is more cumbersome but should produce the same end result.

If there is no reference to DeployOrchestrations in your output, then it would appear that the IncludeOrchestrations property is not being recognized.  Have you compared your .btdfproj with those from the included samples?  Maybe it's best to just post the contents of your .btdfproj here so that I can take a look.

Thanks,
Tom

Sep 8, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Yes that i what i use to build the msi, very useful :)

I made some progress (user error of course ;)

I was thinking that failure to gac pdb's was a superficial error, but apparently that was my hold up. I turned off DeployPDBsToGac (since i don't pdb's for everything) and I get a new error that is further down the install, which now puts me on the right path.

Thank you!