IIS AppPool for .NET4

Topics: IIS and Web Services
Jan 6, 2011 at 9:27 AM
Edited Jan 6, 2011 at 9:28 AM

When using the BTDF to create virtual directories, is there a way to specify properties of the app pool?  In particular, I want the .NET framework version to be v4.

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately there is nothing built in.  The properties that are set today are coded into an MSBuild task.  However, you could use a CustomDeployTarget (or CustomPostDeployTarget) MSBuild target to run AppCmd.exe or the IIS 6 admin VBScript (depending on IIS version) to make this change.

Thanks,
Tom

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Thanks for the advice.  This is what will probably do in the short term. 

Another option would be to use the "MSBuild Extension Pack" on codeplex.  These seem to have better support for managing IIS AppPools than the "MSBuild Community Tasks" used by the BTDF. 

Any chance of the IIS tasks in the "MSBuild Extension Pack" being used in the next release of the BTDF to manage IIS virtual directories?

Coordinator
Jan 7, 2011 at 3:49 PM

The reason that I haven't switched to a different task library is backwards compatibility.  Most of the MSBuild task libraries out there are targeted at .NET 3.5, and I need to support BizTalk 2006 and 2006 R2 with .NET 2.0/3.0.  I'm doing most, if not all, IIS interaction in our own custom tasks library (using WMI) to ensure that it works with .NET 2.0.  It's also why all of the BTDF code still targets 2.0.

Please create a feature request in the Issue Tracker so that we can track this for a future release.

Thanks!
Tom

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Hi Tom,  I was about to raise a new issue, when I saw that one had already been raised (http://biztalkdeployment.codeplex.com/workitem/7628). I did not see this before starting this discussion.  Sorry and thanks again.