Don't delete the application

Topics: Bindings File, Settings Management and SSO
Jan 10, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Hey

Is there a setting available that keeps the installer from removing the application?  I have multiple visual studio projects, and they all reference to the same BizTalk application.

However when I deploy / undeploy, all the other settings, resources etc are also gone, because the application is deleted.  Is there a way to prevent this?

Tnx!

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2011 at 5:49 AM

Can you describe your configuration and requirements a bit more?  There is not an option to leave the application upon undeploy.  For shared resources such as what you seem to be describing, I normally have a separate solution and projects set up to deploy to a Common BizTalk application.  In the other BizTalk solutions/applications, I add BizTalk app references to the Common app (AppsToReference property in .btdfproj).  Would that work for your case?

Thanks,
Tom

Jan 11, 2011 at 6:40 AM

Hey Tom,

thank you for your answer.

No, the reason is that we try to keep separate solutions for each system we communicate with (about six in this case), but only have need for the standard edition (limited tot five separate applications).  Our solution is to implement all these in two applications, a "general" application where we keep common objects and a" flows" application where the rest is located.

Of course we have the possibility of adding everything to one solution, but that's not exactly elegant :-).

Kind regards,

Maarten

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2011 at 5:41 AM

Hi Maarten,

I think I finally caught on to your situation.  So you are really wishing that you could have multiple solutions that target a single BizTalk application.  The Deployment Framework is designed to create an application on deployment, then clean it up during removal.  There is no way around that.  However, within a single .btdfproj you can certainly combine the artifacts from your various solutions so that you deploy it all into one app.  Basically a "master" Deployment Framework project.  You could create a single all-encompassing solution to use just for deployments, not for development.  Or, if you dispense with the BTDF Visual Studio add-in and just call the MSBuild targets from the command-line, then you wouldn't even need a big solution file.

For developing in the smaller sub-solutions, you could create separate deployment projects to be used only for development, never for server deployments.

Would something like that work OK for you?

Thanks,
Tom