This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Getting an error while adding new project

Topics: Getting Started/Beginner
Jan 18, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Hello, I am getting an error while adding project as 'Deployment Framework for Biztalk'. the popup error shows  'The Operation could not be completed. the system cannot find the file specified'.

After that i am getting one more popup 'Project Created'. but the folder was not added in my solution. Since i cann't include my Deployment files.

Please let me know any suggestions.

Regards, Syam

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Hi Syam,

You probably have spaces somewhere in the directory path to your solution.  The only thing that is failing with the "Operation could not be completed" error is Visual Studio opening the .btdfproj file in the text editor.  It's harmless and will be fixed in the final release.

The Deployment Framework does not include a full Visual Studio custom project type (i.e. C# project, BizTalk project, ASP.NET project, etc.).  To include the Deployment Framework files in your solution, I recommend that you add a new Solution Folder to your solution named Deployment (or whatever you called your deployment project folder).  Then use the Add Existing Item command to add your deployment files to the solution folder.  Please note that you should not add any files to your solution from the EnvironmentSettings folder except SettingsFileGenerator.xml, and you should not include PortBindings.xml if you are using a PortBindingsMaster.xml file as a bindings file template.

Thanks,
Tom

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:56 AM
Edited Jan 19, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Hi Tom, Thank you very much for your reply. i will follow the steps as you expalined. I will let you know if i look any problems. ~ Syam

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:51 PM

HI Tom, i have done the changes as you explained.

I have done 'deployed my solution' and 'deployed MSI', then i am trying to Install from the Windows Installer Package underneath bin\debug or bin\release directories.

But i am getting an error in the command prompt window as

"C:\Program Files\BizTalkDeployment for BizTalk\1.0\Deployment\Deployment.btdfp
roj" (default target) (1) ->
(DeploySchemas target) ->
  C:\Program Files\BizTalkDeployment for BizTalk\1.0\Deployment\Framework\BizTa
lkDeploymentFramework.targets(1149,5): error MSB3073: The command "BTSTask.exe
AddResource -Type:BizTalkAssembly -Source:"..\BizTalkDeployment.Schemas.dll" -A
pplicationName:"BizTalkDeployment" -Options:GacOnAdd,GacOnImport,GacOnInstall"
exited with code 1.

when i went and see in my BizTalk Admin Console project was created but there is no Artifacts and Ports were added. what might be the cause. any suggetions.

~Syam.

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Hi Syam,

Before you jump ahead to using the MSI, have you fully tested deploying from within Visual Studio using the toolbar or the Tools\Deployment Framework for BizTalk menu?  You should make sure that that process works perfectly, then move on to testing with the MSI.

Do you have a <Schemas> ItemGroup in your .btdfproj file pointing to the correct location of the DLL?

Also, if you're on Windows Vista/7/Server 2008 then the deployment process (and Visual Studio) need to be running as Administrator.  The deployment process through the MSI will prompt for permission elevation, but in Visual Studio you must explicitly start Visual Studio As Administrator.

Thanks,
Tom

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:11 AM

Hi Tom, i have tested the deployed application with the InPut/OutPut files, going ahead to using MSI Build, i have deleted the deployed application from BizTalk adminstrator.

Yes. i am using the Schemas ItemGroup in my .btdfproj file. find the below three ItemGroups while are using in my file.

for example my Schema dll physical path is :

D:\BizTalk Projects\BizTalkDeployment\BD.Schemas\bin\Debug\BD.Schemas.dll.

I am using Windows 7 with the Admin running as Administrator for all installations and VStudion running. providing .btdfproj file inthe below snippet.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- 
  Deployment Framework for BizTalk 5.0
  Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Thomas F. Abraham and Scott Colestock
-->
<Project xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003" DefaultTargets="Deploy">
  <PropertyGroup>
    <Configuration Condition="'$(Configuration)' == ''">Debug</Configuration>
    <Platform Condition="'$(Platform)' == ''">x86</Platform>
    <SchemaVersion>1.0</SchemaVersion>
    <ProjectName>BizTalkDeployment</ProjectName>
    <ProjectVersion>1.0</ProjectVersion>
    <IncludeSchemas>True</IncludeSchemas>
    <IncludeOrchestrations>True</IncludeOrchestrations>
    <IncludeTransforms>True</IncludeTransforms>
    <IncludeMessagingBindings>true</IncludeMessagingBindings>
    <IncludeSSO>True</IncludeSSO>
  </PropertyGroup>
  <PropertyGroup>
    <!-- Properties related to building an MSI for server deployments -->
    <!-- BizTalk App Version Upgrade -->
    <!--   For each new product release to be deployed to your BizTalk servers: -->
    <!--     1) Increment ProductVersion -->
    <!--     2) Generate a new GUID and update ProductId with the new GUID -->
    <!--   This allows the new MSI to automatically uninstall (not undeploy!) the old MSI and install the new one. -->
    <ProductVersion>1.0.0</ProductVersion>
    <ProductId>adb5fade-5f42-42cc-afd0-01955d31587a</ProductId>
    <!-- BizTalk App Version Upgrade -->
    <ProductName>BizTalkDeployment for BizTalk</ProductName>
    <Manufacturer>Deployment Framework User</Manufacturer>
    <PackageDescription>BizTalkDeployment</PackageDescription>
    <PackageComments>BizTalkDeployment</PackageComments>
    <!-- NEVER change the ProductUpgradeCode. -->
    <ProductUpgradeCode>97e8d757-8403-4282-affd-59e4d9bf871e</ProductUpgradeCode>
  </PropertyGroup>
  <PropertyGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'Debug'">
    <DeploymentFrameworkTargetsPath>$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\DeploymentFrameworkForBizTalk\5.0\</DeploymentFrameworkTargetsPath>
    <OutputPath>bin\Debug\</OutputPath>
    <DeployPDBsToGac>false</DeployPDBsToGac>
  </PropertyGroup>
  <PropertyGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'Release'">
    <DeploymentFrameworkTargetsPath>$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\DeploymentFrameworkForBizTalk\5.0\</DeploymentFrameworkTargetsPath>
    <OutputPath>bin\Release\</OutputPath>
    <DeployPDBsToGac>false</DeployPDBsToGac>
  </PropertyGroup>
  <PropertyGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'Server'">
    <DeploymentFrameworkTargetsPath>Framework\</DeploymentFrameworkTargetsPath>
    <!-- Get our PDBs into the GAC so we get file/line number information in stack traces. -->
    <DeployPDBsToGac>true</DeployPDBsToGac>
  </PropertyGroup>
  <ItemGroup>
    <PropsFromEnvSettings Include="SsoAppUserGroup;SsoAppAdminGroup" />
  </ItemGroup>
  <ItemGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'Debug'">    
    <Schemas Include="BD.Schemas.dll">
      <LocationPath>..\BD.Schemas\bin\Debug</LocationPath>
    </Schemas>
  </ItemGroup>
    <Transforms Include="BD.Maps.dll">
      <LocationPath>..\BD.Maps\bin\Debug</LocationPath>
    </Transforms>
  </ItemGroup>
    <Orchestrations Include="BD.Orchestration.dll">
      <LocationPath>..\BD.Orchestration\bin\Debug</LocationPath>
    </Orchestrations>
  </ItemGroup>
  <Import Project="$(DeploymentFrameworkTargetsPath)BizTalkDeploymentFramework.targets" />
  <!--
    The Deployment Framework automatically packages most files into the server install MSI.
    However, if there are special folders that you need to include in the MSI, you can
    copy them to the folder $(RedistDir) in the CustomRedist target.
    To include individual files, add an ItemGroup with AdditionalFiles elements.
  -->
  <Target Name="CustomRedist">
  </Target>
</Project>
~ Syam.
Jan 20, 2011 at 5:50 AM

Hi Syam,

You have Condition attributes on all of your ItemGroup's, so they will never be used by the MSI deployment (when '$(Configuration)' == 'Server').  Please remove the Condition attributes from the ItemGroups containing Schemas, Transforms and Orchestrations, and change bin\Debug to bin\$(Configuration) within the LocationPath's.  That way if you are in Debug or Release, you will get the correct files, and the MSI (Server) deploy will also recognize the file names.

Thanks,
Tom

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Hi Tom,

sorry for bothering you again.

The above issue was resolved, but i am getting the below error while installig MSI Build.

"C:\Program Files\BizTalkDeployment for BizTalk\1.0\Deployment\Deployment.btdfp
roj" (default target) (1) ->
(PreprocessBindings target) ->
  C:\Program Files\BizTalkDeployment for BizTalk\1.0\Deployment\Framework\BizTa
lkDeploymentFramework.targets(1069,5): error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Program
Files\BizTalkDeployment for BizTalk\1.0\Deployment\Framework\DeployTools\xmlpre
process.exe" /f /v /c /i:"C:\Program Files\BizTalkDeployment for BizTalk\1.0\De
ployment\PortBindings.xml" /o:"C:\Program Files\BizTalkDeployment for BizTalk\1
.0\Deployment\PortBindings.xml" /d:CurDir="C:\Program Files\BizTalkDeployment f
or BizTalk\1.0" /s:""" exited with code 1.

~Syam

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Hi Syam,

Notice that the /s parameter to XmlPreprocess is an empty string.  That value should be populated with the path to one of the environment-specific XML files in the EnvironmentSettings folder (which are exported from the spreadsheet).  When the server deploy began, you should have seen a wizard dialog appear.  By default, the wizard prompts you to choose one of those XML files, and that is in turn passed to the MSBuild script through an environment variable.  It appears that you did not select an XML file in the wizard.

Thanks,
Tom

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Hi Tom, thanks for your solution. now it is working perfectly in my machine. even MSI deployment also working fine in my machine. I tried with my Development solution, everything working fine in my local system.

Now I am trying to deploy the my development project  MSI file in another machine,  i am getting the below Error,

"C:\Program Files\XXX.Speedwing.Groups for BizTalk\1.0\Deployment\Deployment.b
tdfproj" (default target) (1) ->
(DeployAppDefinition target) ->
  C:\Program Files\XXX.Speedwing.Groups for BizTalk\1.0\Deployment\Framework\B
izTalkDeploymentFramework.targets(1132,5): error MSB3073: The command "BTSTask.
exe AddApp -ApplicationName:"XXX.Speedwing.Groups_DevTesting" -Description:"
XXX.Speedwing.Groups_DevTesting"" exited with code 1.
~Syam
Jan 24, 2011 at 5:30 PM

BTSTask is not giving us much to go on with just a "code 1."  If you're on Vista/Win7/Server 2008, you should have been prompted for UAC elevation to Administrator before the deployment script began.  Do you have an existing BizTalk app by that name?  You could try copying the command line into a Command Prompt and do some experimentation with it there to avoid having to run the deployment script over and over.  Are you able to manually create the app in BizTalk admin?

Is BTSTask logging anything to the Event Log?

Thanks,
Tom