Why would a local deploy - skips "ExportSettings"?

Topics: General Questions
Feb 3, 2011 at 9:58 PM

I think I need a refresher.  I changed a parm in the SettingsFileGenerator, and one my projects doesn't rebuild the local_settings.xml.
The targets in the msBuild that are being run are different between two projects, that have almost identical .btdfproj files.
Everything is working file with the MSI builders, it just a local deploy in Visual Studio that's giving me problems.

This one run "ExportSettings":
Target Deploy:
    Target SetWinVer:
        Running on Windows V52
        Detected IIS 6
    Target GetSoftwarePaths:
        Using .NET Framework Install Path 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727'.
        Using BizTalk Install Path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006\'.
        Using Deployment Framework Install Path 'C:\Program Files\Deployment Framework for BizTalk\5.0\'.
        Using Deployment Framework Tools Path 'C:\Program Files\Deployment Framework for BizTalk\5.0\Framework\DeployTools'.
    Target InitSettingsFilePath:
        Using settings file ..\..\Common\FRB.EC.Common.BizTalk.Deployment\EnvironmentSettings\local_settings.xml
    Target ExportSettings:
        "C:\Program Files\Deployment Framework for BizTalk\5.0\Framework\DeployTools\EnvironmentSettingsExporter.exe" "c:\SourceEagleConnect\Dev\BizTalk\OSIQueries\FRB.EC.OSIQueries.BizTalk.Deployment\EnvironmentSettings\SettingsFileGenerator.xml" "c:\SourceEagleConnect\Dev\BizTalk\OSIQueries\FRB.EC.OSIQueries.BizTalk.Deployment\EnvironmentSettings"
        Environment Settings Spreadsheet to XML Exporter 1.5.1
        [http://EnvSettingsManager.codeplex.com]
        Copyright (C) 2007-10 Thomas F. Abraham.  All Rights Reserved.

Importing from SettingsFileGenerator.xml...

Output format is XmlPreprocess (multi-file).

Exporting to local_settings.xml...
        Exporting to SharedDev_settings.xml...
        Exporting to DFstage_settings.xml...
        Exporting to PROD_settings.xml...

Finished.

This one skips "ExportSettings" and jumps from InitializeAppName to InitSettingsFilePath:

Target Deploy:
    Target SetWinVer:
        Running on Windows V52
        Detected IIS 6
    Target GetSoftwarePaths:
        Using .NET Framework Install Path 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727'.
        Using BizTalk Install Path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006\'.
        Using Deployment Framework Install Path 'C:\Program Files\Deployment Framework for BizTalk\5.0\'.
        Using Deployment Framework Tools Path 'C:\Program Files\Deployment Framework for BizTalk\5.0\Framework\DeployTools'.
    Target InitSettingsFilePath:
        Using settings file ..\..\Common\FRB.EC.Common.BizTalk.Deployment\EnvironmentSettings\local_settings.xml
    Target InitializeAppName:
        BizTalk Application Name is FRB.EC.WireTransfer
    Target PreprocessBindings:
        Clearing file attributes for 'PortBindings.xml'.
        "C:\Program Files\Deployment Framework for BizTalk\5.0\Framework\DeployTools\xmlpreprocess.exe" /f /v /c /i:"c:\SourceEagleConnect\Dev\BizTalk\WireTransfer\FRB.EC.WireTransfer.BizTalk.Deployment\PortBindingsMaster.xml" /o:"c:\SourceEagleConnect\Dev\BizTalk\WireTransfer\FRB.EC.WireTransfer.BizTalk.Deployment\PortBindings.xml" /d:CurDir="c:\SourceEagleConnect\Dev\BizTalk\WireTransfer" /s:"..\..\Common\FRB.EC.Common.BizTalk.Deployment\EnvironmentSettings\local_settings.xml"
        XmlPreprocess v2.0.11.0
        Copyright (c) 2004-2009 Loren M Halvorson
        XML File Preprocessor

Settings XML file not found: "..\..\Common\FRB.EC.Common.BizTalk.Deployment\EnvironmentSettings\local_settings.xml"
        Enter path to settings XML file, leave blank if no settings are required.

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
           at XmlPreprocess.XmlPreprocessorMain.ReadEnvironmentSettingsFile(PreprocessingContext ctx)
           at XmlPreprocess.XmlPreprocessorMain.ReadSettings(PreprocessingContext ctx)
           at XmlPreprocess.XmlPreprocessorMain.Main(String[] args)
        Settings XML file:
        C:\Program Files\MSBuild\DeploymentFrameworkForBizTalk\5.0\BizTalkDeploymentFramework.targets(1025,5): error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Program Files\Deployment Framework for BizTalk\5.0\Framework\DeployTools\xmlpreprocess.exe" /f /v /c /i:"c:\SourceEagleConnect\Dev\BizTalk\WireTransfer\FRB.EC.WireTransfer.BizTalk.Deployment\PortBindingsMaster.xml" /o:"c:\SourceEagleConnect\Dev\BizTalk\WireTransfer\FRB.EC.WireTransfer.BizTalk.Deployment\PortBindings.xml" /d:CurDir="c:\SourceEagleConnect\Dev\BizTalk\WireTransfer" /s:"..\..\Common\FRB.EC.Common.BizTalk.Deployment\EnvironmentSettings\local_settings.xml"" exited with code -1073741819.
    Done building target "PreprocessBindings" in project "FRB.EC.WireTransfer.BizTalk.Deployment.btdfproj" -- FAILED.
Done building target "Deploy" in project "FRB.EC.WireTransfer.BizTalk.Deployment.btdfproj" -- FAILED.

Done building project "FRB.EC.WireTransfer.BizTalk.Deployment.btdfproj" -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.
C:\Program Files\MSBuild\DeploymentFrameworkForBizTalk\5.0\BizTalkDeploymentFramework.targets(1025,5): error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Program Files\Deployment Framework for BizTalk\5.0\Framework\DeployTools\xmlpreprocess.exe" /f /v /c /i:"c:\SourceEagleConnect\Dev\BizTalk\WireTransfer\FRB.EC.WireTransfer.BizTalk.Deployment\PortBindingsMaster.xml" /o:"c:\SourceEagleConnect\Dev\BizTalk\WireTransfer\FRB.EC.WireTransfer.BizTalk.Deployment\PortBindings.xml" /d:CurDir="c:\SourceEagleConnect\Dev\BizTalk\WireTransfer" /s:"..\..\Common\FRB.EC.Common.BizTalk.Deployment\EnvironmentSettings\local_settings.xml"" exited with code -1073741819.
    0 Warning(s)
    1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:27.92

Thanks,
Neal

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:11 PM
Edited Feb 4, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Here's a little more info:

I was getting this error.  The "setting name" below is a new row in our SettingsFileGenerator.xml spreadsheet, but it's not getting built into the Local_Settings.xml file, even when the EnvironmentSettingsExporter.exe (see prior message) runs. 

Build FAILED.
EXEC : error XMLPP102: The setting named 'MSMQFundTechReqAdminQName' was not defined. Input File: c:\SourceEagleConnect\Dev\BizTalk\WireTransfer\FRB.EC.WireTransfer.BizTalk.Deployment\PortBindingsMaster.xml

This is one of those fine tuning things we need to get working.  We have successfully implemented several releases now with BTDF, but apparently we have a hiccup in adding new BTDF parameters in our local environment. 

My temporary ugly solution was to manually stick this in the local_settings.xml file:

<property name="MSMQFundTechReqAdminQName">FORMATNAME:DIRECT=OS:.\private$\DFTESTINITBTADMINQUEUE</property>

Neal

Coordinator
Feb 4, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Hi Neal,

The path to the settings spreadsheet is stored in the property $(SettingsSpreadsheetPath).  Are you overriding it?  The ExportSettings target will do nothing if MSBuild can't find the file specified in that property.  You can always throw a <Message Text="$(SettingsSpreadsheetPath)'"/> into a CustomDeployTarget target to see what that value is set to.

Thanks,
Tom