XmlPreProcess not replacing parameters.

Topics: Bindings File, Settings Management and SSO, Getting Started/Beginner
Mar 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM

What would cause XmlPreProcess.exe to not replace my parameter with a property defined within a settings file?   Specifically I have a parameter ${SendLocation} in PortBindings.xml and a property SendLocation defined in my settings file.  However, XmlPreProcessor is not replacing ${SendLocation}.  That is, a pre processed PortBindings.xml contains "${SendLocation}" tags everywhere.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Do you have the UseMasterBindings property set to false (or not set at all)?  If so, then PortBindings.xml is the correct file to use and something else is going on.  (When using a master bindings file then your starting point would have to be PortBindingsMaster.xml vs. PortBindings.xml.)

Assuming that is correct, are you wrapping the areas where $(SendLocation} is used with an ifdef comment block, or are you freely using it within the file with no wrapper?  The default now is to not require an ifdef wrapper.  By the way, you can see all the documentation and usage examples over at XmlPreprocess.  I believe that is demonstrated in our sample BasicMasterBindings, which you can use as a reference.

Thanks,
Tom

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response.  I did manage to get it work now.  I am not exactly sure what was happening.  I was indeed using PortBindingsMaster.xml and generating PortBindings.xml via "Preprocess Biztalk Bindings" in Visual Studio and this was generating a PortBindings.xml file without replacing the parameters with actual values.  I wonder if the presence of this file was causing problems during installation.  I skipped this step and allowed the generation to occur during install time and things seem to be ok now.

Thanks,

J