MSI Where Applications Reference other applications

Topics: General Questions, Getting Started/Beginner, Tips and Tricks
Apr 12, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I am looking to use BTDF to automate our BizTalk solution deployments and was wondering if anyone knows of any pitfalls related to creating MSI files that reference other BizTalk applications. I suspect the way this would work is that I would first deploy my CommonBizTalkApplication via MSI then I would deploy my subsequent MSIs. Can someone tell me if there is an automated way to have the subsequent MSIs establish a reference to the CommonBizTalkApplication within BizTalk? WOuld this be done in a powershell script or a MSI post script and if so does anyone know of any examples I could look at?

Thanks - steveb.

Coordinator
Apr 12, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Hi Steve,

There is no supported way to build a BTDF MSI that includes an explicit dependency on another MSI.  However, WiX is used to build the MSI's and WiX can do that, so you could probably make it happen with some changes to the default WiX definition XML.

That said, it's very common to have two BTDF apps where one depends on the other.  Usually the total number of apps isn't that large, and regular deployment planning is almost always necessary when there's a Common app and other apps depend on it.  For those reasons, I've never explicitly created a dependency, but just documented and trained the deployment team that "Common" needs to be deployed before XYZ.

It is extremely simple to have one app create a reference to another during deployment.  Just add an <AppsToReference> property in your .btdfproj and include the name of the other app.

Thanks,
Tom

Apr 12, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Sounds like I just need to add that property.

Thanks Tom.