This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Prepend build number to the BizTalk app name?

Topics: General Questions
May 3, 2011 at 3:26 PM

One of the requirement that the management came up with recently is to have a build # prepended to the application name. Basically, when someone opens up deployed app in the BizTalk Adminisrator they want to be able to see "ApplicationName.12345", where 12345 refers to a build number. Our solution is configured under CC.NET and currently it only builds and doesn't generate server MSIs. But that's not a concern right now.

Anyone has suggestions how to wire this up?

May 3, 2011 at 4:06 PM

If you'd like, you can override the default BizTalk app name by defining an MSBuild property in a PropertyGroup named BizTalkAppName.  The value could be ApplicationName.$(BuildNumber).  You would then need to either define BuildNumber as an environment variable before MSBuild starts up, or pass BuildNumber=VALUE to MSBuild on the command line.  One of those should probably work for you.

Thanks,
Tom

May 3, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Tom,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Overriding application name will be just fine. I'll try to experiment with how to pass the build number. Your suggestions should get me going on this.

May 3, 2011 at 6:00 PM

You're welcome.  Something just occurred to me -- if you vary the app name there will be a problem between deploy and undeploy time.  Rather than a unique ID, the BizTalk app name is used during deploy and undeploy, so just make sure that the name doesn't change between deploy time and undeploy time for the same installation.

Thanks,
Tom