This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Multiple schema projects

Topics: General Questions, Server Deployment
May 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Hi.

I am in a situation where I have to splitt my Schemas project into several schema projects. The reason for this is I seem to have reached Visual Studios limit regarding number of string litterals withing the same assembly. This is an assembly containing Edifact schemas, and they are huge!

My question:, will the use of multiple schema projects require me to fix/change anything withing the deploy tasks, or will it handle two schema projects within my app(Named EDI.Schemas and EDI.Schemas2)?

I am using BizTalk 2010 and BTDF RC 0.25( I guess I should grab the latest one)

Regards

May 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM

That won't be a problem.  Just define multiple Schemas elements inside a single ItemGroup in your .btdfproj.

Thanks,
Tom

May 21, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Thank you for your quick reply.

Did you mean something like this?

<ItemGroup>
		<Schemas Include="EDI.Schemas"/>
		<Schemas Include="EDI.Schemas2"/>
	</ItemGroup>

I am getting strange msbuild errors when trying to deploy. It fails on GenerateAssemblyNamesItemGroup task. It seems like it is failing on Transforms, but I guess this is related to my ekstra Schemas project(it has worked beautifully before).

May 23, 2011 at 5:46 AM

Hi, I would encourage you to take a look through the documentation (Start menu link) and the sample apps (in the Deployment Framework install folder).

For this instance, you would have something like:

<ItemGroup>
  <Schemas Include="EDI.Schemas.dll">
    <LocationPath>..\EDI.Schemas\bin\$(Configuration)</LocationPath>
  </Schemas>
  <Schemas Include="EDI.Schemas2.dll">
    <LocationPath>..\EDI.Schemas2\bin\$(Configuration)</LocationPath>
  </Schemas>
</ItemGroup>

Thanks,
Tom

May 23, 2011 at 9:28 AM
Edited May 23, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Thanks a lot, your suggestion worked like a charm.

I will read up on the documentation before asking the next time I need something extra.

I guess I am spoiled because it is very seldom I find myself in a situation where "vanilla" BTDF is not enough. Thank you for the great work you have put in on BTDF, it is an invaluable tool to me.

May 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM

You're welcome.  I really appreciate the positive feedback!  It's great to hear that the Framework is working so well for you.

Thanks,
Tom