Visual studio add-in

Topics: General Questions, Getting Started/Beginner, Visual Studio Integration
Jul 25, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I just installed the latest BTDF V5.0.26 RC2 but the visual studio add-in doesn't seem to be fully installed. I don't see the Deployment Framework under the tools menu. But, I see Deployment Framework component under the component manager and I can create new BTDF project in the new project dialog.

I'm using Biztalk 2009, Visual Studio 2008 and Windows Server 2008.

Is there a way to manually install this tool or to manually launch the build MSI outside Visual Studio ? Or anything to make it work ?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Jul 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Hi,

I don't hear about this issue often, but every once in a while it comes up.  I've had a couple of people in the past say that they rebooted or reinstalled and it started working, so start with the simple steps first.  You're using the same Windows account now that you used to install the BTDF, right?  You can also try running devenv.exe /Setup from an Administrator command prompt.

You should have ended up with a toolbar and a menu at the top of the Tools menu.  If you look in Tools/Customize/Commands, you should be able to find some BTDF commands.  If they or the toolbar or menu are missing, then something evidently went wrong in the command registration with Visual Studio.

Thanks,
Tom

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:12 PM
Edited Jul 25, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Hi, thanks for the answer Tom!

Yess it,s the same account, I only use the administrator account.

I uninstalled BTDF, rebooted, installed BTDF, rebooted. When I used "devenv.exe /Setup", no visual studio showed up but I could hear the computer working. When manually started VS2008, the toolbar wasn't there under Tools. When I go to Tools/Customize/Commands, under categorie addins, I see all the BTDF commands (Bounce Biztalk, Build Server Deploy MSI, etc.). In the toolbars there is not BTDF toolbar. Can I build a new toolbar from scratch and use these commands ?

I don't know if it can be of some use, but I use a french version of Windows and Visual Studio.

that's about it...

Thanks !

Seb

Coordinator
Jul 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Hi Seb,

The French version could very well be related.  Is your Tools menu named "Outils"?  The code includes a lookup that is supposed to grab a culture-specific Tools menu name from a resource file, but I'll admit I've never tested it on a non-English version.

The answer is yes -- to get going you can make yourself a toolbar and/or menu command-bar and just add the BTDF commands onto it/them (all in the Customize dialog).  They should work fine since they registered OK with Visual Studio.

Thanks,
Tom

Jul 25, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Hi Tom,

Yes my "Tools" menu is named "Outils". I have talked with other colleagues and others have a french version of Windows, VS and Biztalk, but the 2010, and it seems to work just fine.

I'll go with my custom toolbar, it seems to be the fastest work around ;)

Thansk again Tom!

Seb

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2011 at 4:07 AM

OK, please let me know if you happen to find any other clues!

Thanks,
Tom

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I didn't search for something else, I just created a new toolbar with the desired commands and all worked perfectly !

Thanks for your help

Seb