Deploying from build script - TFS 2010

Topics: General Questions, Server Deployment
Oct 4, 2011 at 2:55 PM

After the creation of MSI using BTDF, I am executing below script from powershell in my build script. This is suppose to install the MSI in my BizTalk Server But I only see the the application under "All Programs". I do not see the application in BizTalk Admin. I am writing below script in powershell cmdlet file and calling this from TFS 2010 Build template. It does not launch the installer as well. is there any other way or do I need to pass some extra parameter for the automated deployment ? Any pointer will be of great help.

msiexec.exe /i C:\Builds\1\DEV\CIDemo\Sources\DEV\Deployment\bin\Release\CIDemo-1.0.0.msi

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Hi,

The BTDF MSI is a delivery vehicle for all required files.  It does not automatically execute the deployment script.  If you manually install the MSI you'll find a checkbox on the last page asking whether you want to start the deployment.  When you click Finish the installer is done and MSBuild.exe takes over.

Scripting deployments to remote servers has been covered here in the Discussions area multiple times, so if you take a look around you should find a number of other threads that will help you out.  If you can't find any of them then please let me know.  I do recall that people have had the best success in remotely launching the MSI install and MSBuild deployment script using SysInternals PsExec.  Your remote process needs to run as Administrator.

Thanks,
Tom