Upgrading Application with Shared Ports

Topics: Getting Started/Beginner, Server Deployment
Nov 1, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I've done some searching of this discussion group as well as across the internet and can't seem to find the answer to this problem we're experiencing.

First, here is the scenario: We have an application that contains ports which are used by orchestrations in other applications. (Shared Ports concept) For example, a port in application A is being used by orchestrations in Application B and Application C. This is in a two server test environment.
We are trying to issue an upgrade of the Application A. We're adding a new port.
Also, this deployment is being done via MSI.

Problem:
The MSI install on each of the servers works fine. However, the deployment does not work. So, I'm really wondering what is the process for upgrading an application that is shared?
Here is what I'm guessing is the upgrade process...
1) Undeploy Application B and C (Program files, application A, Undeploy Application B.)
2) Redeploy Application A
3) Deploy Applications B and C

Is this correct? Is there a better way to manage this? (This seems somewhat painful.)
(By the way, both application B and C have no suspended or in flight transactions. Both applications are completely stopped)

Thanks a lot for the help.

Chris

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2011 at 6:44 AM

Chris, you're correct.  When modifying ports you've got to deploy into BizTalk again vs. just updating a DLL in the GAC, so that normally calls for the process that you described.  Many people have fully scripted their server-side BTDF deployments (which either drive the MSI install and then the deployment, or just drive the deployment).  You'll find quite a few posts here in the Discussions area about scripting the process.  One semi-complete project that also aims to automate the process is Giulio Vian's Sprinkler project.

I've found that the manual process generally scales OK to 3-4 dependent projects.  When you start getting over that threshold, it does get to be too tedious.  That's when those scripted solutions come into play.

Thanks,
Tom

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:56 AM
Great, thanks Tom. I'll take a look at that project you mentioned. We'll do this manually for now. We only have about 4 dependencies at this point.

Chris J Albertson
Personal Website
Phone: 214-810-6271

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 12:44 AM, tfabraham <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Chris, you're correct. When modifying ports you've got to deploy into BizTalk again vs. just updating a DLL in the GAC, so that normally calls for the process that you described. Many people have fully scripted their server-side BTDF deployments (which either drive the MSI install and then the deployment, or just drive the deployment). You'll find quite a few posts here in the Discussions area about scripting the process. One semi-complete project that also aims to automate the process is Giulio Vian's Sprinkler project.

I've found that the manual process generally scales OK to 3-4 dependent projects. When you start getting over that threshold, it does get to be too tedious. That's when those scripted solutions come into play.

Thanks,
Tom

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (biztalkdeployment@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email biztalkdeployment@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com