This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Need Help in SSO Settings Editor GUI for viewing and editing settings stored in SSO on the fly

Topics: Bindings File, Settings Management and SSO, General Questions, Getting Started/Beginner
Nov 9, 2011 at 5:34 AM

I am very new to BDTF infact touched it today itself no idea how to begin with...

I want to change one FTP setting on the fly in Production without redeploying the entire solution...

Please suggest detailed procedure how to do that.

Help Appreciated.

-Vicky

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:29 AM

When you have the <IncludeSSO> property set to true in your .btdfproj, then when you build an MSI with the Deployment Framework, install it and deploy on a server, you will find a link to the SSO editor GUI in the Start menu.  That will let you edit settings immediately with a slight delay due to caching.  For the setting change to take effect, you'd have to be reading the setting value programatically somewhere inside your BizTalk solution code.  You might want to review the BasicMasterBindings sample and Advanced sample.

Also, please see the included documentation.

Please post again if you get stuck.

Thanks,
Tom

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:47 AM

Thanks Tom for such a prompt response.

I am sorry but even if I am setting the <IncludeSSO> property to true, DO I need to deploy the MSI again on my Prod server?

What I understood is...

1. Install BTDF on local dev machine.

2. Set the <IncludeSSO> property to true.

3. Build an MSI with Deployment Framework.

4. Deploy it on Prod Server.

5. Now on any Environment setting can be changed on the fly directly using SSO editor GUI in the Start menu. (But Atleast Once the MSI should be deployed with <IncludeSSO> property to true.

Please confirm if I understood correctly.

Regards,

Vicky

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:38 AM

That's correct, but whether any behavior actually changes as a result of changing the setting in SSO depends on how you are using the values from SSO.  If you want a setting to change in a static FTP port, it is not going to happen.  If you are dynamically reading the value from SSO through code at runtime, then yes, it will change at runtime (there is caching, so a slight delay before the change takes effect).  In the BTDF install folder, under Framework\DeployTools, you'll find an SSOSettingsFileReader.dll .NET assembly, which you may use in your BizTalk code to read settings from SSO at runtime.

Thanks,
Tom

Nov 9, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Tom, On the Prod Server the Application was earlier deployed using BTDF. Not sure if <IncludeSSO> property was set to true while crating the MSI from Dev Server.

Now the thing is SSO editor GUI is not there in the Start menu of Prod Server. Does it mean that <IncludeSSO> property was not set to true?????????????

In that case I need to redeply the MSI with <IncludeSSO> property set to true and My Operation team does not want redeploy. They want changes to reflect on the fly without any deployment.

Yes we are dynamically reading the value from SSO through code at runtime.

Please help.

Regards,

Vicky

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:15 AM

The .btdfproj is installed on the server with the app, so you can just look on the server to see if IncludeSSO was set to true.  It would have to be if you're using the SSOSettingsFileReader component.  If it wasn't built with the most recent releases, that could explain why the menu item isn't there.  Anyhow, if you do have a recent BTDF build installed on a dev machine, just look to the install folder\Framework\DeployTools\SSOSettingsEditor.exe.  You can just copy it up to your server and run it.

Thanks,
Tom

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:04 AM

It helped. Thanks Tom.

Do I need to restart the host instances to take the change effective?????

--Vicky

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Does changing the settings without stopping BizTalk break something??

Please suggest what is advisable?

Nov 11, 2011 at 4:16 PM

You don't need to restart the host instances unless you are doing your own caching of the values returned by SSOSettingsFileReader.  After you make a change in the editor tool, the values returned by SSOSettingsFileReader will change after a brief caching period.  I can't comment on whether your setting change could break something because it's completely dependent on how your code was written and your particular BizTalk code design.  There's nothing about the tool or SSO itself that would cause something to break by simply changing a setting value in the editor.

Thanks,
Tom

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:49 AM

Hi Tom,

I want to separately generate xml files for Dev, QA and Prod from SettingsFileGenerator.xml.

How to do that??

Regards,

Vikash

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Hi Vikash,

Please start a new discussion topic for unrelated questions.  Can you clarify your question?  Separate XML files are always generated for each environment.  You will find one settings XML file per environment next to the settings spreadsheet file.

Thanks,
Tom