Install new verison on top of existing

Topics: Server Deployment
Jan 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to make the msi "upgradeable"

I've followed the instruction in the BTDF project and I'm generating a new product id and version number.
However when I try to install a new version of the msi on top of an existing one I get the following error:
"A later version of <name> is already installed. Setup will now exit."

I've checked the msi's with ORCA and the version number and product codes are different in the two mis files. And the updragecode is the same.

Any idea of what I'm missing?

Regards,

Morten

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Could it be that you are using four segments in your ProductVersion version number?  Windows Installer only looks at X.X.X, so for it to see a version number change you would have to increment one of the first three segments.  The last time I tested this it was working, but I can re-test it.

Thanks,
Tom

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response! And you are right on the money. I'm using the buildnumber from TFS in my CI build.

So I have to figure out how to make this work. I might actually drop it all together and keep the same verion and productid, and do a undeploy, unistall, install and deploy.

Best regards,

Morten

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Hi all,

I need to pass from TFS the build number and apply it to the BTDF to build the msi with build number. Mortie did you manage to get this working?

<application><tfs build #>.msi

Is this possible?

Thanks

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2012 at 5:53 AM

The MSI name will be overridable in the final release of V5.0.  For now you may want to just copy or rename the generated MSI within your Team Build script or workflow.

Thanks,
Tom

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Thanks Tom will rename as suggested
Thanks

On Feb 15, 2012 12:53 AM, "tfabraham" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

The MSI name will be overridable in the final release of V5.0. For now you may want to just copy or rename the generated MSI within your Team Build script or workflow.

Thanks,
Tom

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (biztalkdeployment@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email biztalkdeployment@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM

If you send in the version number as a parameter to msbuild in your tfs build workflow you will get the naming as described.

My issue is that we only increment the 3 segment in our version every sprint. That made it impossible to do an upgrade of the msi within a sprint.

I solved it by unistalling the msi package as part of our delivery pipeline before I install the new version. That works like a charm ;-)

Regards,

Morten