Status Update on V5.0 Final Release

Topics: Project Announcements
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Hi everyone,

Since it has (unfortunately) been a long time since the last release, just a quick status update.  The code for V5.0 is complete, and I'm now working on a complete overhaul of the documentation.  The documentation effort is huge and it is taking many hours here and there late at night, but it's moving along and will be well worth the effort.  I wish that it was moving along faster, but I keep thinking of more things that should be documented and adding them to the list.  The main documentation will be in CHM format, but the help tool that I found will allow export to DOC, PDF and HTML too.

Sorry for the delay, but rest assured that progress is still being made!

Thanks,
Tom

May 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Hi Tom,

Good to read that progress is being made (not that I was in doubt about that given the change set notifications and discussion updates I receive in my mail). Can you give an estimate of when work will be completed so I can decide on updating our version?

We now use 5.0RC2 rather intensively but there are some shortcomings we encountered that are solved since the 5.0RC2 branch was released (ie. AppPool versions in IIS7+ and UNC File drops). If the 5.0 Final version is released in say the next month or two we’ll hang in there for a while but if the release is say two or more months away I think I will try to patch the 5.0RC2 version with the individual change sets.

Thanks in advance and… I won’t hold it against you if you don’t make your estimate… I’m a developer to :)

Regards,
Ferdinand

Coordinator
May 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Hi Ferdinand,

It will definitely be within the next two months.  If it comes to the point where the documentation is just taking too long to complete (and it's getting close), I'll throw in the towel and release it with incomplete documentation.  In that case, I'll post separate updates to the help on the Downloads page.

I still have quite a few areas to complete in the docs, but the good news is that almost all of the common scenarios are covered.

Thanks for waiting!
Tom