To merge BTSNTSvc.exe.config

Topics: Bindings File, Settings Management and SSO, Getting Started/Beginner, Server Deployment
Apr 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Hi, all the gurus,

This framwork is excellent! I cannot say more how much I like it. One issue here, I tried to search the forum but didnt get clear understanding, how to merge the BTSNTSvc.exe.config in the deployment?

Say I want to add this section to the BTSNTSvc.exe.config

<appSettings>

<add key="MyConfigFile" value="C:\MyInstallationDir\Config.xml">

</appSettings>

The requirenment is to add the MyConfigFile with the value of %InstallationDIR%\config.xml, the InstallDIR is the directory where the program is installed to during the MSI settup.

Could anyone please help. Thanks so much.

Coordinator
Apr 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

It's great to hear that you really like the Framework!  (Please vote your approval and/or post a review on the Downloads page if you haven't already.  Thanks!)

There is nothing built in to add appSettings elements to the BizTalk config file, although many of the bits and pieces are present.  However, we already have a built-in configuration system that is designed for ease of maintenance and easy runtime access.  It consists of the Excel spreadsheet in the EnvironmentSettings folder, where you can keep every setting that you may need at runtime, as well as binding file replacements, etc., BizTalk SSO and a small .NET component.

If you place all of your settings into the spreadsheet, then you'll have the values captured for each environment in one spot.  When you deploy, you can have everything from the spreadsheet for the target environment loaded into an SSO affiliate application (IncludeSSO property).  Then, any of those settings can be accessed at runtime using the SSOSettingsReader .NET component.

This is generally a more robust and easier configuration method than creating XML files and plugging them globally into BizTalk.  Would our system work for your needs?

Thanks,
Tom