This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Deploy to two different servers ( TFS )

Topics: Bindings File, Settings Management and SSO
Jun 1, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Edited Jun 1, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I have two 2 small questionson deploying BizTalk solutions to different servers.

For now, we are developing on a "BizTalk" server, so with the Deployment Framework, it's very easy to deploy our solution.
Last month, we started using TFS, so now we are trying to configure that, when we build our Dev-branch, the solution is deployed to the Dev-environment, and when we build our Main-branch, the solution is deployed to the Acpt.-environment.

But I'm not able find where I can find the server name to accomplish this? ( change the server(database) on which to deploy)

The second problem is quite similar.
The problem is that our company is going to remove Visual Studio from the BizTalk Servers, so again, the problem will be that we will have to deploy to the 2 servers from another environment.

The first problem isn't the biggest problem, with MSI, we can temporarily solve this.
For the second problem, we might not be able to use the Development Framework any longer ..

I hope the question is a bit clear.
Kind Regards

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Hi,

I never recommend having Visual Studio on BizTalk servers, and it is certainly not required for the Deployment Framework for BizTalk.

Your TFS build will build your BizTalk solution AND build the Deployment Framework .btdfproj project file using the Installer target.  That will cause the Deployment Framework to produce an MSI.  You must provide scripts to take that MSI and push it to your BizTalk server(s) and remotely deploy it.  Many other users have done just that, and there are some other posts here that talk about using psexec, PowerShell or other tools to fully automate the Deployment Framework MSI deployment.

Here's one example that you can probably use.

Thanks,
Tom