InstallUtil and MSBuild 4.0

Topics: Server Deployment
Aug 3, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Hi,

I know this is mostly down as a closed issue but ...  I want to run the InstallUtil tool when my message creation service runs.  The <IncludeInstallUtilForComponents> tag nearly does what I need to do;  I would rather it work for a single project but having it run for a couple of Components projects that have no installer is not so bad..

However it seems to bomb and I guess it is becaue all my new assemblies are .net 4.

I know this is fixed in the actual BTDF 5.0 but I have to run in a modfiiied early version, but is there a workaround I can put in to the targets? i.e. what was the fix that was included?

A seggestion on the issue was to use the MSBuild ToolsVersion attribute to set to .net 4. As he notes this solves the problem but it leaves another problem,  a missing reference for Microsoft.Sdc.Tasks.BizTalk.dll.

Looking at the site that hosts that; it is not supported anymore. :-(

Does this mean BTDF does not run MSBuild 4 really?

Anyone knnow a workaround for a project that does not have the ToolsVersion specified?

It would be great if BTDF could do it to take advantage of the Wix integration.

thanks

mark

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I strongly recommend that you find a way to upgrade to the final V5.0.  However, in your current situation, add the ToolsVersion="4.0" attribute and edit the file Microsoft.Sdc.Common.tasks in the <ProgramFiles>\MSBuild\DeploymentFrameworkForBizTalk\V5.0 folder.  In that tasks file, delete every UsingTask element that includes AssemblyFile="Microsoft.Sdc.Tasks.BizTalk.dll".  That should take care of it.

Thanks,
Tom 

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Tom, thanks very much! that did it.