This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Clarification about Automatic Upgrade in the MSI.

Topics: Server Deployment
Aug 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Reading the "Upgrading a deployed application" in the BTDF docs, I get the impression that the installer would upgrade a deployed application. After changing the ProductId and ProductVersion (as required), i ran the new installer twice with no success. The objective is to upgrade a deployed application without undeploying/uninstalling the application. Is that even possible? The docs are unclear about that. Here is the description of the steps i took with the results. 

1. For the first time, I ran the installer and once it was done, I ran the deployment wizard. The deployed wizard error-ed out suggesting to specify a unique application name (the application was already deployed so i understand the conflict).  

2. The second time, i ran the installer and when it finished. I did not launch the deployment wizard thinking it would update the GAC with the new DLLs and BizTalk would detect the updated dlls and would reset the process. No luck either. 

Would someone, please, explain the process? The goal, again, is to upgrade a deployed application without undeploying/uninstalling it.

Thanks,

Umair.

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:17 AM

Hi Umair,

Changing the ProductID and ProductVersion produces an MSI that will cause Windows Installer to perform an upgrade installation.  That has nothing to do with BizTalk since a BTDF MSI simply delivers files to a machine.  This saves you the single step when upgrading an app of having to uninstall the old MSI before installing the new one.  Prior to performing such an upgrade, you must have already undeployed the application, otherwise you will be in a bad spot where you may have trouble undeploying because the app's files have been modified.

In other words, you cannot upgrade an installed BizTalk application by installing a new MSI.  You undeploy, upgrade install the MSI (or uninstall/reinstall), then deploy again.

Thanks,
Tom

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Tom,

Thanks for a clear and precise answer.

-Umair