This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Please help point a direction in assembly upgrade scenarios

Topics: General Questions, Tips and Tricks, Visual Studio Integration
Sep 26, 2012 at 12:32 AM

hi, thanks for the great framework, I am using it for all the projects invoved, so far it is a great success.

However, the client raised a question today which I never did it myself before. The scenario is the schema and the map is in seperate projects (dll library), if the entire solution is already deployed (using the btdf framework) in production but the schema is changed (i.e. an element is removed), how to promote this change to the production?

The client is unwilling to go with side by side approach since 'it is too many version to maintain is a problem', is there a way to pack it to a MSI package and do it in a fancy way?

Thanks so much!

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Hi, thanks for the feedback!  A schema change must be deployed to the GAC, deployed into BizTalk itself and the host instances must be restarted.  There is also the risk that the schema change could break other components, so a full build is in order.  That means you're deploying a new version of your application.

The process is just to make the change, build, then rebuild your BTDF MSI.  Before doing the last step, in the .btdfproj, increment the ProductVersion and generate a new ProductId GUID.  Next, undeploy the existing app, install the new MSI (which will upgrade the old version) and deploy the new version.  Documentation for that process is here.

Thanks,
Tom