Uninstall upgrade

Topics: Getting Started/Beginner, Server Deployment
Jan 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM

To install/deploy a new release, one can undeploy-uninstall-reinstall-redeploy.

To uninstall, just go via Control Panel | Programs and Features, or navigate to the msi and select Uninstall from the context menu.

Changing ProductID and ProductVersion for the msi allows to perform an upgrade installation, for a new release resulting in undeploy-upgrade-redeploy; correct?

What if we need to (undeploy and then) uninstall such an upgraded application?

• Can that also be accomplished by navigating to the msi (original or upgrade?) and selecting Uninstall?
  • Or is there another way to have it uninstalled like Control Panel | Programs and Features, but scripted (powershell)?
Coordinator
Jan 22, 2013 at 5:11 AM

Correct, if you change ProductCode and increment ProductVersion and rebuild the MSI, you may skip one step -- the uninstall before the install of the new version.  You can uninstall that upgraded app via Uninstall command on the upgraded version's MSI or through Add/Remove Programs.

You can also uninstall it via command line with msiexec.exe /x and a pointer to the upgraded version's MSI, or by passing the product code.  The product code can be a bit tricky to determine -- in the past I've had to use a PowerShell script or tool that enumerates the installed programs to get the right code formatted in the right way for the command-line tool.

Thanks,
Tom

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Once the app is upgraded with an upgrade msi, the original msi looks like it is rendered useless.
So as you said, the last (upgrade) msi seems to be the only one to consider.

I have not yet tried nor needed to uninstall via script, but thanks for the info.
At the moment I am a happy user of Install-BizTalkApplication (with minor modifications), which works great with upgrade msi files.