Avoid Application shortcut appearing in start menu during MSI installation

Topics: General Questions
May 10, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Hi Abraham

Greetings! Its been a wonderful time we are having at out team using BTDF framework and things are going fine except for a small tweak that i am looking for. Is there a way to avoid the application shortcut from appearing in the startmenu(All Programs) during MSI installation. Since our client has around 2000 biztalk applicaitons it would become very messy to see around 2000 shortcuts in the start menu. Please let me know a way to avoid this. Thanks in Advance.
Coordinator
May 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM
First, I'm very happy to hear that you and your team are finding success with the BTDF!

Second, wow, that is a huge number of apps! You'll find the solution to this in v5.1 (currently Beta 2). You can add this property to the existing PropertyGroup that contains the other MSI-related properties:
<CreateStartMenuShortcuts>False</CreateStartMenuShortcuts>
Thanks,
Tom
May 14, 2013 at 5:47 AM
Hey Tom

Thanks for your reply.
Wow, thats awesome! By the way, when can we expect v5.1 release? Any time frame (need not have to be accurate).

Cheers
Keshav
Coordinator
May 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Hi Keshav,

v5.1 Beta 2 is feature complete, so I'm just waiting to see if anyone finds any critical issues. Maybe a few more documentation updates. Otherwise I'm just letting it rest for 3-4 weeks and if nothing critical comes up, then Beta 2 will essentially become the official v5.1.

Thanks,
Tom
May 15, 2013 at 5:47 AM
Edited May 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Thanks a lot Tom for the information. Eagerly waiting for the next release. TC.

By the way 1 final question. Currently we have finished our BTDF implementation in the DEV environment and will be shortly pushing the code to UAT. So my question here is,
Is there any chance of the exsiting code breaking up with the v5.1 upgrade later and if there's anything we can do from our side to safeguard our existing implementation? Will it be a smooth upgrade to v5.1?

I am slightly worried as it would get messy if at all the code breaks up in UAT after the new upgrade. Hope it is 100% backward compatible.

Please comment.

Cheers
Keshav