Destination folder not changed during server install

Topics: Server Deployment
Feb 3, 2014 at 5:49 PM
Hi,

First off I would like to thank you for the great tool.

I am having an issue with the MSI execution. The infrastructure team wants a specific installation folder, other than "C:\Program Files (x86)".

I am using version 5 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

It appears the MSI ignores the changes made in the Destination Folder screen. I have also tried using command line options to msiexec in a batch file.

This was deployed to the server once before, if that makes any difference. The application was deleted from BizTalk Server. The program was uninstalled using Control Panel.

Any ideas on how I can get the BTDF deployment package to install to a custom destination folder?

Thanks in advance,
Jay
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Hi Jay,

The default installation folder can be set by passing the INSTALLDIR property to msiexec.exe. If you include the DefaultInstallDir property in your .btdfproj, the path you specify there will be included in the .bat file generated next to the MSI.

As for the path override not working at all, can you confirm that you are using 5.0 RTW (both on dev machines and build server, if any)?

Thanks,
Tom
Feb 4, 2014 at 5:31 AM
Hi Tom,

I added the property DefaultInstallDir into the application .btdfproj file. I verified that the path intended is set in the batch file INSTALLDIR msiexec argument. It is something like "C:\Program Files\MyApp\VersionNumber". The msiexec.exe appears to ignore it and use the default "C:\Program Files (x86)\MyApp\VersionNumber". I verified the development machine has 5.0 RTW of the BTDF. This is the same machine I am deploying to in this test.

Thanks,
Jay
Apr 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Edited Apr 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM
I have the same issue with version 5.0. Trying to install BTDF package to "Program Files" folder instead of "Program Files (x86)" with below command:

start "" msiexec.exe /i <ApplicationName>-1.0.5.msi /log "C:\ApplicationName.log" INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\<ApplicationName>\1.0.5"

However, INSTALLDIR still set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\<ApplicationName>\1.0.5\" per log file.
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2014 at 4:23 AM
If you change the path in the MSI install wizard does it work as expected? Is the problem limited to the command-line?

Thanks,
Tom
Apr 3, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Edited Apr 3, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Updated path in MSI wizard is also not working if target folder if "C:\Program Files". However, it is accepting any other location other than "C:\Program Files". for example "D:\Test\<ProjectName>" as target location is working.
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Thanks for the update. MSI's are built to target either x64 or x86. A common place that you encounter that is on Microsoft's Downloads website, where you have to choose either an x64 or x86 installer. On 64-bit Windows, only x64 MSI's install to C:\Program Files while x86 MSI's install to C:\Program Files (x86). The Deployment Framework MSI is built to target x86.

I'm not surprised then that Windows Installer is "auto correcting" your install path to keep the x86 MSI from installing into the "wrong" Program Files location.

Thanks,
Tom
Apr 4, 2014 at 1:57 AM
Thanks for the update Tom!