This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Deploying VDirs on multiple servers

Topics: General Questions, Server Deployment
Jul 16, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Working on our first BTDF deployment, got everything working in test, including the vdir creation ... but that was a single server environment

However in production, we've got three servers ...
  • run the MSI on the first two without deployment
  • run on the last with deployment
So that creates the vdirs on the last machine ...

But what about the first two machines? ... how can we create the vdirs on those?
Jul 16, 2014 at 3:59 PM
Hi Steve,

By default, the DeployVDirs target runs whether or not anything is being deployed to the BizTalk management database -- in other words, it runs on all servers.

Thanks,
Tom
Jul 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Hi there Tom

Being a thickie here

I can see the DeployVdirs target in BizTalkDeploymentFramework.targets but I can't work out how it's triggered if I don't select the "Start deploying to BizTalk when I click Finish" option in the wizard, or use the /target:Deploy in a script

Cheers,
SteveC.
Jul 17, 2014 at 6:31 PM
If you have IncludeVirtualDirectories set to True, then DeployVdirs runs on every deployment. On a server after installing the MSI, you can either leave the checkbox checked at the end of the Windows Installer wizard, or go through the Start menu and choose the Deploy menu item for the app. Alternatively, you can script the deploy after installing the MSI, but that's more involved.

Going back to your first message... when you say "run the MSI on the first two without deployment" what do you mean? You must install the MSI and run the deployment process on every server. Docs here.

Thanks,
Tom
Jul 17, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Edited Jul 18, 2014 at 8:34 AM
Tom,
"Going back to your first message... when you say "run the MSI on the first two without deployment" what do you mean? You must install the MSI and run the deployment process on every server. Docs here.
I ran the MSI on each server

On the first two, I left the check box "Start deploying to BizTalk when I finish" unchecked ...
Then on the final server, I checked that box, and the deployment ran through to success

My presumption was on the first two, running the MSI would only be GAC'ing the assemblies, whereas on the last server, running the MSI would GAC, and the MSBuild would do the BizTalk deployment

As you've indicated in the doc's, I need to run the Deploy on each server, after running the MSI ... but won't that end up adding things to the BizTalk database?

Oh, just got it !! ... tick the first check box in the MSI pages, and leave the second check box in the WIX pages unchecked, and I got VDir and GAC, but not addition to BizTalk. Then on the final, ticked the Wix page check box and I get the lot including BizTalk database

DOH !!!

Thanks for explaining, and bearing with a thickie :-)

Cheers,
SteveC.
Jul 18, 2014 at 5:00 AM
You got it. No problem Steve. Now enjoy the automation. :-)

Tom
Jul 18, 2014 at 8:37 AM
Looking through the doc's, I think I'll see about a smart batch file that I can just run and let it work out the "what to do, on what server"

Cheers,
SteveC.