How To Deal With Custom Projects?

Topics: General Questions
Aug 10, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Hi all,

I have a custom project structure that doesn't follow the requirements in the deployment framework.

A simple example being

MyComp.BizTalk (Solution Name)
- MyComp.BizTalk.ExternalHandler
- MyComp.BizTalk.ServiceBus
- MyComp.BizTalk.SchemaRepository
- MyComp.BizTalk.HouseKeeper

MyComp.BizTalk is the solution, with a separate solution folder for each logical grouping of BizTalk projects, each containing one of the projects above. In reality, some of the solution folders hold multiple projects. E.g. HouseKeeper contains a few different projects, each with its own orchestrations and maps.

I need to keep this structure, however I cannot quite figure out how to change the targets or btdfproj file to work with my project structure.

Would anyone be able to provide some guidance on how I would do this?

With kind regards

TM

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I should add to these, many of the different solution items deploy into different different applications.

Can the deployment framework handle this?

Thanks
TM

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2009 at 6:58 PM

It might be possible, but probably not straightforward.  We typically have the solution file at the root and a deployment project folder below it, next to the BizTalk and other project folders.  You can override properties like <Orchestrations> and <Schemas> and try putting paths into the values, like <Orchestrations>MyComp.BizTalk.HouseKeeper\MyComp.BizTalk.HouseKeeper.Orchestrations</Orchestrations>.  I think that might work as far as getting down to the right folder level for the projects.

Needing to deploy into different BizTalk apps makes it even more complicated.  The Visual Studio add-in expects a single deployment folder to reside immediately below the solution root folder.  I think your easiest option would be more than one solution file, otherwise, as much as I hate to say it, I think it will be fairly difficult to make things work with the Deployment Framework.

Tom

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Tom,

thanks for such a quick and detailed response.

I think I may need to spend some time bastardising the framework to suit my needs.

Please do not hold it against me if come September time there is a flood of questions :)

Thanks again,

Kind regards
TM

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Hi Tom,

Did you ever manage to get it working?

regards

Lars

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:42 PM

The post is a bit old, but I have a alternative to modifying the framework, maybe it will be usefull to somebody else.

I was able to work arround the problem by creating "junction" folders using "" (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768 also have a look at this tool http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html). This allowed me to keep my existing project folder structure without modifying the framework. The result is that the folder containing the BTDF files for a project can be "virtually" created in the same folder as the solution file. So the solution file containing the BTDF build can be anywhere up the tree from the actual project and the BTDF build file will still work.

Offcourse the disadvantage is that the same folders need to be created for other developers as well as on the build server...