MSI Deploy Seems to be Doing Multiple Host-Instance Restarts

Topics: Server Deployment
Nov 2, 2016 at 9:15 PM
Edited Nov 2, 2016 at 9:18 PM
Running on BT2010 with 5.5 of BTDF.
  1. Why multiple restarts?
    Here's an example, We have two servers in Prod.
  2. Why any restarts when I told it not to?
    Also, I set the following in the first PropertyGroup of my .btdfproj file:
    <SkipHostInstanceRestart>True</SkipHostInstanceRestart>
    so I'm wondering why it's restarting them at all.
  3. And the Rosetta host instance is not used by my Application at all. Is it doing all host instances, or the minimal? needed?
Thanks,
Neal Walters
Coordinator
Nov 17, 2016 at 9:57 PM
Hi Neal,

Seems that CodePlex's email notification was broken until they unleashed weeks worth of them today.

1) I'm not seeing multiple restarts there. It's Stopping, Stopped, Starting, Started for each of the two servers.
2) You can reduce restarts by setting DeployPdbsToGac to False. You may find it referenced in the .btdfproj already.
3) It will do all unless you specify the ones you want in the BizTalkHosts ItemGroup.

Thanks,
Tom
Nov 18, 2016 at 2:10 PM
Tom,

Ok thanks, thought you were quieter than normal.

I guess I was speedreading... I totally didn't notice the difference in the words "stopped" and "stopping"... thought it would just have one message for stopped and one for started.

So what does <SkipHostInstanceRestart> do? Is that only for Visual Studio deploys?

Neal
Coordinator
Nov 22, 2016 at 2:38 PM
I believe I reduced the verbosity of those messages in v5.6. v5.6 introduces lots of new functionality, so I highly recommend that you upgrade.

It looks like you have SkipHostInstance[no s]Restart. It's SkipHostInstancesRestart.

Thanks,
Tom
Marked as answer by NealWalters on 11/30/2016 at 7:17 AM
Nov 29, 2016 at 8:18 PM
Oh boy, spelling/typo errors. Thanks!