Deploy doesn't build, right?

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:52 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2010 at 1:52 PM

When you choose "Tools"/BTDF/Deploy BizTalk Solution - even though you are using MSBuild, you don't rebuild (compile) the code, correct?  I want to confirm before I have a class with staff here.

So in other words, if you change code, you have to build yourself, then run BTDF deploy. 

If this is true, what was your philosophy about not doing the build as well? 

Thanks,

Neal Walters

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM

That's correct.  I would love to hear opinions from others on this too and get some consensus on how it should work.  I believe BizTalk's own Deploy does do a build first, right?  Basically, to change that behavior I'd have to figure out from the Visual Studio add-in code how to run a build first.  Hopefully that would be fairly obvious in the VS object model.  I think it may indeed make more sense to run a normal solution build (not a rebuild all..?) first.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Tom

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2010 at 2:22 PM

The one advantage to not rebuilding is that there can be spreadsheet and/or binding changes that you'd like to pick up that don't require a build.  (Of course, if you aren't rebuilding, builds are pretty cheap anyway.)

Scott

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Might be a nice feature to add, but no big deal.  But just imagine this conversation.

Student: What tool does BTDF based on?

Teacher: MSBuild

Student: What is that?

Teacher: It's a tool that Microsoft built that helps you build you code. <even though we know it does much much more - Wikipedia has a definition here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSBuild) >

Student: Oh, so BTDF helps me build my code.

Teacher: No, they use MSBuild for only for the deploys.

Neal