The Deployment Framework for BizTalk eliminates the pain associated with BizTalk application deployments, and goes far beyond BizTalk’s out-of-the-box deployment functionality. It also includes additional tools to enhance developer productivity, such as binding file management.
The Deployment Framework for BizTalk is the single most powerful and customizable, yet easy-to-use toolkit for deploying and configuring your BizTalk solutions.
Top Five Reasons to Use the Deployment Framework for BizTalk
- Deploy a complex solution containing orchestrations, schemas, maps, rules, custom components, pipeline components, pipelines -- even ESB itineraries -- in minutes, with no human intervention
- Eliminate ALL manual steps in your BizTalk deployments
- Consolidate all of your environment-specific configuration and runtime settings into one, easy-to-use Excel spreadsheet
- Maintain a SINGLE binding file that works for all deployment environments
- Make automated deployment a native part of the BizTalk development cycle, then use the same script to deploy to your servers
- Bonus Reason: It's free!
This project exists due to hundreds of hours of volunteer effort. Please consider making a donation if you find this framework useful. Thank you in advance!
The Deployment Framework for BizTalk includes the following features:
- Support for BizTalk 2006, 2006 R2, 2009, 2010 and 2013 (BizTalk 2004 is supported by Deployment Framework 4.x)
- Automation of the entire BizTalk application deployment and updating processes
- Full and Quick application update modes to reduce development cycle time
- Detailed logging for informational and troubleshooting purposes
- Visual Studio 2005/2008/2010/2012 add-in provides menu and output window integration and IntelliSense
- Support for deployment of various BizTalk artifacts including:
- Messaging bindings
- Custom components (DLL’s)
- Custom pipeline components
- Custom functoids
- Rules and vocabularies
- IIS virtual directories
- Single Sign-On (SSO) applications
- BAM activities and views
- ESB Toolkit 2.x itineraries
- Configuration settings infrastructure including user-friendly settings management spreadsheet and .NET object for settings access at runtime
- SSO Settings Editor GUI for viewing and editing settings stored in SSO on the fly
- Custom ESB Toolkit 2.x SSO Resolver that pulls settings data from SSO at runtime (settings data is centrally stored in settings mgmt. spreadsheet)
- Templated bindings file that automatically targets multiple runtime environments
- Enables use of un-encoded XML for easy maintenance of adapter and port configurations in binding files
- Single deployment script serves both development workstations and production servers
- Automated packaging of entire application into standard Windows Installer MSI file
- Support for side-by-side deployment of multiple versions of a single application
- Easily customizable installation wizard for server deployments
- Deployment verification via NUnit unit test tool
- Integrated deployment of Log4Net for runtime event logging
- Automated configuration of FILE adapter directories and security
- Automated configuration of BizTalk runtime settings including debugging features and .NET assembly-to-AppDomain mappings
- Automated restart of one or more BizTalk host instances and IIS services
- Automatic addition of cross-application references
- Automatic deployment of debugging PDB files to the Global Assembly Cache (GAC)
- Support for Windows x64
- Full source code
- Infinite extensibility through open-source license
Virtually all of the features mentioned above may be selectively enabled or disabled and easily customized to meet the particular requirements of your application.
Thomas F. Abraham
Thomas Abraham has been the project owner and sole developer for the Deployment Framework for BizTalk since mid-2008. He has an extensive background in software development, architecture, configuration management and systems engineering, helping to build high-performance, mission-critical applications for companies including Nasdaq, Best Buy and Wells Fargo. Over the last 15-plus years, Thomas has worked with technologies ranging from C/C++ to BizTalk Server to Exchange and .NET, was the lead author of the book "Visual Basic .NET Solutions Toolkit" from Wrox Press and a presenter at the 2006 SOA & Business Process Conference in Redmond, WA. He holds a number of Microsoft certifications, including MCPD, MCSD, MCT and TS for both BizTalk 2004 and 2006. His blog is located at http://www.tfabraham.com
Scott Colestock created the Deployment Framework for BizTalk in 2004 and developed it through mid-2008. He has delivered solutions in the SOA/BPM and mobile space for multiple clients in the Twin Cities, MN area. Scott is recognized for his work with TFS, helping several clients deploy and adopt it. He is a past BizTalk Server MVP, certified ScrumMaster, and speaks at user groups and conferences.