Announcing: Completely overhauled BRE integration

Topics: Project Announcements
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM

The next beta release (5.0.12) will feature a complete overhaul of the Deployment Framework's support for the BizTalk Rules Engine.  I'm excited about this change because I think it makes deploying BRE rules and vocabularies about as easy as it gets, while providing quite a bit of flexibility for your specific needs.

New features include:

• Support for any combination of policy and vocabulary files; files with single ruleset/vocabulary and files with multiple rulesets/vocabularies
  • Support for adding policies to a BizTalk application's resources so that they show up in BizTalk Admin under Policies and integrate with BizTalk's app start/stop logic
  • Support for policies without vocabularies
  • Support for standard policy and vocabulary file naming and directory structure (e.g. $(ProjectName).BRE folder, similar to existing BAM support) OR fully customized file locations
  • Support for undeploying and unpublishing policies and vocabularies by name and version
  • Greatly improved informational and error messages in the script output
  • Visual Studio Tools menu items for deploying and undeploying policies and vocabularies
  • Start menu shortcut on server install for redeploying policies and vocabularies
  • Automatic packaging of all policy and vocabulary files into the server install MSI
  • Improved DeployBTRules.exe utility

I hope you all like the changes!

Thanks,
Tom

May 20, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Tom,

I certainly do :-)
•Support for any combination of policy and vocabulary files; files with single ruleset/vocabulary and files with multiple rulesets/vocabularies
Do you put the same file in the two sections?
I tried this ... but they don't seem to deploy :-(
    <RuleVocabularies Include="Searches_BRERules.xml">
      <LocationPath>..\BusinessRules</LocationPath>
    </RuleVocabularies>
    <RulePolicies Include="Searches_BRERules.xml">
      <LocationPath>..\BusinessRules</LocationPath>
    </RulePolicies>
•Support for adding policies to a BizTalk application's resources so that they show up in BizTalk Admin under Policies and integrate with BizTalk's app start/stop logic
How do you add policies to an application? ... can't see anything in the "Rules Policies and Vocabularies" section?

Cheers,
SteveC.
Coordinator
May 20, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Policies and vocabularies go in separate files, but one policy file can have multiple policies and one vocabulary file can have multiple vocabularies. All policies referenced in files associated with RulePolicies items are automatically added to the BizTalk application as resources, which appear in BizTalk Admin in the Policies node.

The vocabularies are processed first, then the policies.

Thanks,
Tom
May 21, 2014 at 7:19 AM
Thanks for the prompt response Tom

I'd mis-read/understood the item in the announcement ... I thought you could use the export file from the BizTalk Admin Console, which can be a combined set of policies and vocabularies, as the source for the BTDF package
... files with multiple rulesets/vocabularies
Cheers,
SteveC.
Coordinator
May 21, 2014 at 2:25 PM
Ah, OK. I guess when the feature was designed, it was built around the Rule Engine Deployment Wizard which does not mix policies and vocabs in the same file. I didn't realize that now you can have mixed files. I'll add it as an issue so it doesn't get lost.

Thanks,
Tom
May 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Thanks Tom

Cheers,
SteveC.