Upgrading MSI

Topics: Server Deployment
Mar 25, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I am familiar with how to create an MSI that will first remove the old version and install the new (i.e. Upgrade).  How would I go about doing that in BTDF?  

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Ed

Coordinator
Mar 26, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Hi Ed,

Are you hoping to do that with the server install MSI?  Part of the reason that I haven't pursued that is because the user needs to run the undeploy script before uninstalling the MSI.  I didn't want to make the process so automatic that it would be easy to run the new MSI and forget about undeploying.  A while back I tried to get a pop-up dialog to appear during the uninstall that would warn the user to undeploy first, however the Remove button in Add/Remove just bypassed it anyway.

The file you'd want to modify is GenericBizTalkMSI.wxs in the Developer directory under the installation path.  That's the core WiX file that the server MSI is built around.

Thanks,
Tom

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:01 PM
Hi Tom,

Yes, I was thinking that. I am hoping to be able to tell the deployment folks to double click the MSI every time, which will then automagically replace the installed bits and then do a redeployment. I guess I am trying to simplify the process for them.

I will look into the GenericBizTalkMSI.wxs.

Thanks again!

Ed

On Mar 26, 2010, at 11:01 AM, tfabraham wrote:

Hi Ed,

Are you hoping to do that with the server install MSI? Part of the reason that I haven't pursued that is because the user needs to run the undeploy script before uninstalling the MSI. I didn't want to make the process so automatic that it would be easy to run the new MSI and forget about undeploying. A while back I tried to get a pop-up dialog to appear during the uninstall that would warn the user to undeploy first, however the Remove button in Add/Remove just bypassed it anyway.

The file you'd want to modify is GenericBizTalkMSI.wxs in the Developer directory under the installation path. That's the core WiX file that the server MSI is built around.

Thanks,
Tom

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (biztalkdeployment@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email biztalkdeployment@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com