Restarting all host instances (local deploy)

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Each of the Debug, Release and Server configurations contain this line:

<BizTalkHosts>BizTalkServerApplication</BizTalkHosts>

Yet when we do a local Visual Studio deploy, it is restarting all hosts. by running this command:

"cscript.exe" /nologo "C:\Program Files\Deployment Framework for BizTalk\5.0\Framework\DeployTools\BounceBizTalkHost.vbs" ALL

Is this a bug, or something I'm doing wrong to only restart the one host.  We inherited an environment without about a dozen host instances, so it takes a little while.

Thanks,

Neal Walters

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Hi Neal,

Again, this is due to the .btdfproj format change from several versions back.  Please see the release notes.

Thanks,
Tom

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Thanks, it looks like you updated the 2009 samples, but not the 2006 samples to put the  <BizTalkHosts> into the <ItemGroup> 

Neal

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Is there anyway to bypass the IISReset on each deploy?

Neal

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Regarding the samples: the .btdfproj (and most other files) are only shipped under the 2009 samples folder, and PrepareSample.bat copies the necessary files into the 2006 samples structure.  My guess -- you probably had the previous version installed and had run PrepareSample.bat to set up a 2006 sample, uninstalled the Deployment Framework (which would have left the copied files in place), installed the new version and forgot to re-run PrepareSample.bat.

As for IISReset, you have two choices.  One, set <SkipIISReset> property to true.  Two, if you're lucky enough to be working on a Server OS, you can create an ItemGroup and define <IisAppPools> items in it.  That will cause the specific AppPools to be restarted instead of a full IISReset.

Thanks,
Tom

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Why not run the Preparesamples.bat as part of the MSI install?  It's a little onerous to remember to run each time.

Thanks for the IIS info.  Very few of our BizTalk jobs are touching IIS right now.

Neal

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2010 at 4:39 AM

FYI, I created a new issue to track your suggestion on automatically prepping the BT2006 samples.