Destination of MSI File

Topics: General Questions
Apr 28, 2010 at 5:09 AM

Sorry if I am missing something, but I have looked through the documentation and these discussions and couldn't find the answer.

I was wondering if there is a way to specify the destination folder of where the MSI file is generated.

As well can I specify what the filename is? I am trying to setup a Continuous Build Process, and would like the MSI name to contain the date/time or better yet the Build Label from CC.net or the Revision number from Subversion.

Thanks

Luciano

Coordinator
Apr 28, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Hi Luciano,

The destination folder, yes.  You'll find an OutputPath property defined in your .btdfproj (multiple actually, conditional on the Configuration property value).  That's where the MSI is created.

There is no direct way to override the default MSI filename.  It is formed from two properties defined in your .btdfproj ($(ProjectName)-$(ProductVersion).msi).

Thanks,
Tom

May 9, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Hi Luciano,

I solved this problem by adding a post MSI creation step to my build script that copies the MSI to a drop folder and renames the file with the build number in the filename.

Brad

May 18, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Thanks Tom

Thanks Brad, I was thinking along the same line.

I haven't had a chance to investigate this yet.  Do you have an example you're willing to share?

Thanks

Luciano

May 20, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I usually work in an environment where there are six or more related applications and MSIs.

I have a directory called c:\Deploys, and in that I have a .cmd filed called "GatherMSIs.cmd".

It just has bunch of copy statements:

xcopy c:\Source\FRB\EC\Common\BizTalk\FRB.EC.Common.BizTalk.Deployment\bin\Debug\FRB.EC.Common-1.0.0.msi  /Y

etc...

Today, I also built for the first time an MSI builder .cmd file to recreate all the MSIs.  I just put in a list of statement like this (I did a deploy from within Visual Studio and then just copied the syntax). 

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\MSBuild.exe "C:\Source\FRB\EC\Common\BizTalk\FRB.EC.Common.BizTalk.Deployment\FRB.EC.Common.BizTalk.Deployment.btdfproj" /nologo /t:Installer /p:Configuration=Debug

Neal