MSBUILD : error MSB1009: Project file does not exist.

Topics: Tips and Tricks
Aug 11, 2010 at 12:50 AM

I just wanted to document here a common error that I still get when I add BTDF to a new project:

MSBUILD : error MSB1009: Project file does not exist.
Switch: c:\SourceEagleConnect\Dev\BizTalk\App1\MyCompany.App1.BizTalk.Artifacts.Deployment\MyCompany.App1.BizTalk.Artifacts.Deployment.btdfproj

1.  I copied the original solution created by Visual Studio.  First you have to have it one level above the project(s) that contain your BizTalk artifacts (schemas, orchs, maps, etc...)

2.  In my case, it should not have ".Artifacts" in the name of the solution. 

No reply necessary, just sharing this error/solution. 

Neal

Aug 11, 2010 at 1:21 AM

And here's another "gotcha":

Error:

c:\Source\Dev\BizTalk\APP\MyCompany.App8.BizTalk.Deployment\MyCompany.App8..BizTalk.Deployment.btdfproj : error MSB4057: The target "Deploy" does not exist in the project.

Solution:

I had deleted or "cleaned-up" this line out of the BTDFPROJ file.

<Import Project="$(DeploymentFrameworkTargetsPath)BizTalkDeploymentFramework.targets" />

Neal

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2010 at 1:46 AM

Hi Neal,

The only supported way to add the Deployment Framework to a BizTalk solution is the Add New Project wizard.  Are you using the wizard or some other copy-and-paste method?

Thanks,
Tom

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:25 PM

I'm having the same problem not seeing the "New Project Wizard" as ZHCHEA here: http://biztalkdeployment.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=21503.

I guess I started using BTDF before that wizard existed, so stuck in my old ways.

Neal

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Are you using VS 2005 with 2006 R2?   The wizard was missing for VS 2005 in BTDF 5.0.17, but should be working for all VS IDE's in 5.0.18 or newer.  Make sure that Visual Studio is closed when you install BTDF.  Are you using 5.0.18 or newer?

You should open your BizTalk solution, then on the solution choose Add -> New Project..., choose BizTalk Projects, and there you should find Deployment Framework for BizTalk project.

Thanks,
Tom

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Are you using VS 2005 with 2006 R2? Yes.

I am still running 5.0.17.  Will try 5.0.18 soon.

But even with that wizard, you would still have to make sure your solution is one directory above the two BTProj directories, correct?

Thanks,
Neal

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Correct, the .SLN file should be one folder above the BizTalk and deployment project folders.  The only reason for that is that my VS add-in starts looking for the .btdfproj at the path where the .SLN is located.  If you use the wizard to add a project at the solution level, it should end up that way by default (same as adding any other project).

Thanks,
Tom