SSOSettingsFileReader already in store

Topics: General Questions
Oct 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Hi,

I am deploying multiple BizTalk applications from multiple deployment projects.
The first project deploys fine, but I notice that it adds SSOSettingsFileReader.dll to the GAC and as a resource.  I needed to enable "IncludeCompsAndVDirsAsResources" for a number of assemblies, so I gather that's why SSOSettingsFileReader has made it as a resource in the application as opposed to just an assembly in the GAC.

When deploying the second project, it attempts to redeploy the dll so I am told it is already in the store.

Is this file only needed when using the settings spreadsheets? If so which properties do I need to disable/enable, since I don't need to use the spreadsheets?

Thanks

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Correct.  Are you planning to export the apps using the BizTalk Admin tool?  That's the only reason that you'd want to enable IncludeCompsAndVDirsAsResources.

Since you mentioned not needing the settings spreadsheets, I assume that you are not parameterizing your binding files?  Are you maintaining multiple binding files for your different environments?  I just want to be sure that you didn't rule out the spreadsheets when you may find some benefit from them.

Thanks,
Tom

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:47 AM

Hmm.. I don't think we need to export the apps, so i might set that to false in this case and see if any strange behavior occurs at runtime.

At the minute I'm just trying to mirror our current deployment strategy (btstask through bat files), in which we have a bindings file for each application.  I'm sure we probably would benefit from parameterizing them but it might be a bit of an overhead teaching everyone involved about the new deployment strategy with that on top.

So, disabling "IncludeCompsandVDirsAsResources" will ensure that SSOSettingsFileReader will only go to the GAC, but will get overwritten with each new deployment?

Thank you Tom,

Scott

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:18 AM

as a matter of interest, say we do want to be able to export our applications and include our dlls, is there any way to disable the import of SSOSettingsFileReader?

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Scott, that's correct, with IncludeCompsandVDirsAsResources set to false, the effect is that SSOSettingsFileReader is GAC'd on every deployment.  The DLL is deployed via the AdditionalAssemblies ItemGroup, so you could empty that ItemGroup prior to the deployment (say in a CustomDeployTarget Target in your .btdfproj).

If you're using BizTalk 2009 or later (technically, MSBuild 3.5), then I think this syntax might do it:

<ItemGroup>
    <!—Remove *.dll from the AdditionalAssemblies list - ->
    <AdditionalAssemblies Remove="*.dll" />
</ItemGroup>

Thanks,
Tom

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:40 AM

that's excellent Tom!  Though it seems our technical lead is happy to only have things GAC'd if we're generating MSIs anyway

the BTDF is really proving itself to be very useful!

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Thanks, glad to hear that!

Tom