BizTalk 2010

Topics: General Questions
Oct 8, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Hi Tom,

Now that BizTalk 2010 has been released any update on where you are with an updated version of BTDF?

Cheers

Jim

Coordinator
Oct 8, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Hi Jim (and others wondering about this),

I assure you that not a single day goes by when I don't think about the need to get those fixes done and a new release out.  Unfortunately, I think (assuming that this can actually happen) the problem is more complex due to the fact that a BizTalk 2010 project may include a mix of 3.5 and 4.0 assemblies.  I will need to look at each assembly and figure out which version of gacutil to use with it.  Maybe this scenario doesn't exist in real life -- I haven't yet tried referencing a 3.5 assembly in a BizTalk 2010 project.

Anyhow, there's a fair amount of work to do yet.  I'm in Minnesota and we're preparing for winter, among other things, so I've just been overwhelmed.  I'd love to find a trusted developer who can help me out with these things, but I'm still on my own right now.

I promise that it will get done!

Thanks,
Tom

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Hi Tom,

Once again thanks for the reply.

I think the answer is simpler than we think. First you need to install the Windows 7 SDK to obtain the assemblies detailed below. Then

1) Rename the gacutil.exe in the BTDF framework\Deploytools folder to gacutil_old

2) Copy from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\x64\ gacutil.exe and gacutil.exe.config files to the BTDF framework\DeployTools folder

3) Copy from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\x64\1033 gacutlrc.dll again into the BTDF Framework\DeployTools folder

The BTDF will now work with the new 4.0.30319.1 version of gacutil which will gac whatever assembly type i.e. <4.0 into the Assembly folder and 4.0 into the GAC_MSIL folder

I have tested this on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-v machine with BTS2010 (Beta) and gac's assemblies into the correct place regardless of the framework assembly version.

Obviously I am not sure what effect this will have on versions prior to BTS2010 and on 32bit installations, but I am sure this could be addressed via your build of the BTDF msi i.e which platform you are installing BTDF into.

I will try and test this on a non 64bit and BTS09 machine but currently I do not have a virtual machine set up for this.

One final point this has been quite a frustrating issue regarding this change in the gac and I am sure I am not alone in wishing to line up the Microsoft developers and ask (probably a bit more aggressively than that) why do you change these things, was the old assembly gac wrong it has been ok for at least 10 years, I understand things need changing but the impression at times is they can so they will!!!

I will stop ranting now and hope the above makes sense and look forward to your response.

Cheers

Jim

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Hi Jim,

I don't understand either how someone inside MS got approval to move the GAC location and discontinue the GAC viewer shell extension..  It certainly adds unnecessary confusion to something that was relatively straightforward.

Thanks for the pointers, esp. the reference to gacutlrc.dll.  I managed to get my BizTalk 2010 virtual machine fully updated to RTM last night, latest Windows updates, etc. so it's ready to go.  I tested the 4.0 GacUtil with 2.x and 4.0 CLR assemblies and confirmed that it does indeed work properly with both.  I already install slightly different files for BizTalk 2010, so including the 4.0 GacUtil won't be a big deal at all.

I'll do my best to at least get that done this week, along with one or two easy fix things that have been reported.

Thanks again for the info!

Tom