This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

How do you handle Release/Debug

Topics: General Questions
Oct 21, 2010 at 4:22 PM

What's the best practice for handling the release/debug options?  I know there are settings for this in the solution. 

Should I have one solution just for production builds, and another solution for developers?

Does anybody release "debug" code to production?  Is really slower?  Why bother switching between the two?

Thanks
Neal Walters

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:54 PM

I've always used one solution for everything and done Release mode builds for deployment.  The Deployment Framework is set up to look for configurations named Debug and Release, so you will likely have deployment issues if you use anything other than those names.

There is a difference between Debug and Release -- the compiler disables optimization for Debug mode.  It's not something that you would notice unless you look through the IL code inside the assemblies.  As for BizTalk specifically, I'm not sure that anyone outside of the product team knows how or if they generate code differently between debug and release.  I'm talking about C#, VB.NET, etc.  Since they build upon a C# project, I'd suspect there is similar behavior.

Thanks,
Tom