Maintaining existing Master Binding File

Topics: Bindings File, Settings Management and SSO, General Questions, Server Deployment, Tips and Tricks, Visual Studio Integration
Apr 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM
Edited Apr 7, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Hi all

Anyone knows best practices to maintain an existing Master binding file when new biztalk artifacts are added such as new orchestrations , new schemas, and so forth ? because keeping update the file could be a little bit tricky and we can go into troubles.

Any suggestion is welcome!

thanks,

Julian

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Hi Julian,

I can share what I have done in the past.  Once I have deployed some new artifacts I manually bind the orchestrations, etc. through BizTalk Admin and make sure that the app fully starts.  Next, I manually export the binding file alongside my PortBindingsMaster.xml, then run ElementTunnel.exe on the newly exported file to un-encode the XML (only when ApplyXmlEscape = true).  Finally, if I know exactly what has changed, I'll open the exported file in Notepad and just copy and paste the new sections into my PortBindingsMaster.xml (being careful to prevent the Visual Studio XML editor from doing any reformatting).  If I don't know what has changed, I'll use WinMerge to compare the two files and then selectively copy stuff over to PortBindingsMaster.xml.

It sounds like a lot, but usually that process takes me about 5-10 mins max.

Thanks,
Tom

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:29 PM

thanks a lot for your answer, was very useful!

Julian