Multiple schema projects

Topics: General Questions, Server Deployment
May 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Hi.

I am in a situation where I have to splitt my Schemas project into several schema projects. The reason for this is I seem to have reached Visual Studios limit regarding number of string litterals withing the same assembly. This is an assembly containing Edifact schemas, and they are huge!

My question:, will the use of multiple schema projects require me to fix/change anything withing the deploy tasks, or will it handle two schema projects within my app(Named EDI.Schemas and EDI.Schemas2)?

I am using BizTalk 2010 and BTDF RC 0.25( I guess I should grab the latest one)

Regards

Coordinator
May 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM

That won't be a problem.  Just define multiple Schemas elements inside a single ItemGroup in your .btdfproj.

Thanks,
Tom

May 21, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Thank you for your quick reply.

Did you mean something like this?

<ItemGroup>
		<Schemas Include="EDI.Schemas"/>
		<Schemas Include="EDI.Schemas2"/>
	</ItemGroup>

I am getting strange msbuild errors when trying to deploy. It fails on GenerateAssemblyNamesItemGroup task. It seems like it is failing on Transforms, but I guess this is related to my ekstra Schemas project(it has worked beautifully before).

Coordinator
May 23, 2011 at 5:46 AM

Hi, I would encourage you to take a look through the documentation (Start menu link) and the sample apps (in the Deployment Framework install folder).

For this instance, you would have something like:

<ItemGroup>
  <Schemas Include="EDI.Schemas.dll">
    <LocationPath>..\EDI.Schemas\bin\$(Configuration)</LocationPath>
  </Schemas>
  <Schemas Include="EDI.Schemas2.dll">
    <LocationPath>..\EDI.Schemas2\bin\$(Configuration)</LocationPath>
  </Schemas>
</ItemGroup>

Thanks,
Tom

May 23, 2011 at 9:28 AM
Edited May 23, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Thanks a lot, your suggestion worked like a charm.

I will read up on the documentation before asking the next time I need something extra.

I guess I am spoiled because it is very seldom I find myself in a situation where "vanilla" BTDF is not enough. Thank you for the great work you have put in on BTDF, it is an invaluable tool to me.

Coordinator
May 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM

You're welcome.  I really appreciate the positive feedback!  It's great to hear that the Framework is working so well for you.

Thanks,
Tom