BDF for single artifact installation

Topics: General Questions
Jun 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Hi,

I am trying to know about the BDF . I have a question regarding. Can we install single Biztalk artifact to an already existing Biztalk application. The reason why i ask this is the production system has been for many years and we just need to install few artifacts to it in order to cater to change requests..Now we dont want to uninstall /install the whole application as it incurs the drawback of complete end to end regression testing..

Please assist.

thanks

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Hi,

I would really recommend converting the whole application to the Deployment Framework because you will have a much better experience in the long run, both during development and production.  You may have seen our features list that gives an idea of just how much this product can do.

However, I understand the regression testing issue.  If you want to limit your changes to just updating an already-deployed DLL (which in many cases means just re-installing to the GAC, unless you have changed schemas or port definitions), then you might be better off just using gacutil.exe on the server to update an existing DLL here and there as necessary.

That said, the Deployment Framework is built on MSBuild, so you could certainly create a very simple MSBuild script of your own and take advantage of any pieces of the Deployment Framework's MSBuild targets or custom tasks.  The Framework is really intended to be your main vehicle for deployments, not just a patching solution for an existing application.

Thanks,
Tom