Hot-Fix Msi to override assembly

Topics: Server Deployment
Jun 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Hi Thomas

The normal process with the Deployment Framework is to undeploy the application if already deployed, then deploy. can we overcome this for  incremental deployment without undeploy, like only to overwrite or override the assembly that is needed. steps like stop the application overwrite the assembly and restart the application without undeploy the app.

Thanks

Sundeep

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Hello Sundeep,

Please see related discussion topic here.

Thanks,
Tom

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply , what do you think of Hugues way of approach http://biztalkdeployment.codeplex.com/discussions/247385.

The production team wants to know by seeing in the Add or remove programs which hot fix has been deployed instead of looking through all the dll. I understand the problem for full deployment

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2011 at 5:06 AM

I re-read my last comments in the thread you referenced, and I think they are still accurate.  It might be a workable solution, but it will be an ongoing maintenance issue when new Deployment Framework releases come out.  There are a couple of ways to get version info displayed in Add/Remove Programs.  You can just add a version number to the description or change the installer version.  Either option can be done just with the installer-related properties in your .btdfproj.

I'm afraid that a robust built-in solution for patching deployed apps will be a long way off, since it will take a bunch of planning and work and there are other priorities in the queue today.

Thanks,
Tom