The "ConfigureAppPool" task was not given a value

Topics: IIS and Web Services
Jun 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I am trying to include a WCF service as part of my deployment package.

My <VDirList/> node looks like

<VDirList Include="*">
  <Vdir>WCFService</Vdir>
  <Physdir>..\WCFService</Physdir>
  <AppPool>DefaultAppPool</AppPool>
</VDirList>

But when I try to deploy the package, I get an error saying

(DeployVDirs target) -> C:\Program Files\Project\1.0\Deployment\Framework\BizTalkDeploymentFramework.targets(1678,5): error MSB4044: The "ConfigureAppPool" task was not given a value for the required parameter "UserName"

Am I missing anything here? Do I somewhere need to specify identity for my AppPool?

Thanks,
Jay.

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2011 at 4:02 AM

Hi Jay,

Is this a Visual Studio deploy or a server deploy that is causing the error (appears to be a server deploy)?  Have you fully tested local deployment before attempting a server deployment via the generated MSI?

When you install the MSI and launch the deployment, you first see a wizard UI.  That wizard is reading in InstallWizard.xml (or UnInstallWizard.xml) from your project folder.  You will need to collect values for settings named VDIR_UserName and VDIR_UserPass in order to configure the AppPool.  You can do that by inserting elements in the InstallWizard.xml like this (taken directly from the Advanced sample application):

<SetEnvUIConfigItem>
      <PromptText>Enter a domain-qualified account name for virtual directory (HTTP and SOAP) identities.

For Windows Server 2003 (IIS6), ensure this user is in the IIS_WPG group.</PromptText>
      <PromptValue />
      <ValueType>Text</ValueType>
      <EnvironmentVarName>VDIR_UserName</EnvironmentVarName>
   </SetEnvUIConfigItem>
   <SetEnvUIConfigItem>
      <PromptText>Enter the password for the account specified:</PromptText>
      <PromptValue />
      <ValueType>Password</ValueType>
      <EnvironmentVarName>VDIR_UserPass</EnvironmentVarName>
   </SetEnvUIConfigItem>

That will cause the wizard to present two steps that will request the username and password from the user.

Thanks,
Tom

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Thanks for your reply Tom,

You are correct, I wasn't doing a visual studio deploy; although I was deploying on local, but using the generated MSI instead of visual studio toolbar options.

I saw above XML in one of the samples but wasn't sure how these parameters were being utilized within the build package - I have updated InstallWizard.xml now and it worked in the very first go.

Thanks a lot for your help, I am very glad that I am using this framework for my deployments... it rules!!

Many Thanks,
Jay.

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2011 at 2:14 PM

You're welcome and thanks Jay!

Tom

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM

i am trying to include a WCF service as virtual directory

<VDirList Include="*">
  <Vdir>WCFService</Vdir>
  <Physdir>..\WCFService</Physdir>
  <AppPool>TestPool</AppPool>
</VDirList>

And i have edited the InstallWizard.xml and getting values for username and password.

I have deployed the solution by generating the MSI.

I can see the virtual directory in IIS  and TestPool also got created with net framework v2.0

But i need TestPool to be created with .net framework v4.0

I am new to this Deployment Framework. Any suggestions would be useful.

Thanks in Advance.

Sandeep

Coordinator
Apr 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Please see this discussion thread.  In the upcoming final release of V5.0, there is a new property within the VDirList that allows you to specify the .NET version if you're using IIS 7.x.

Thanks,
Tom

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Edited Nov 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM
When I build MSI for deployment and I have a WCF Service to be published in the IIS, the deployment fails by giving the error as:
error MSB4044: The "ConfigureAppPool" task was not given a value for the required parameter "UserName".

I have given the below in the btdf.proj file
<VDirList Include="*">
  <Vdir>EmployeeService</Vdir>
  <Physdir>..\EmployeeService</Physdir>
  <AppPool>EmployeeServiceAppPool</AppPool>
</VDirList>
How do I assign UserName and Password to the AppPool. I have to assign the identity as "NetoworkService" in the AppPool.
What changes do I need to do in my proj file.