warning : PortBindings.xml : No matches found for XPath expression '//ApplicationName'

Topics: Bindings File, Settings Management and SSO, Server Deployment
Jul 6, 2011 at 8:09 AM

After succesfully building and deploying the BizTalk project I receive this warning. Why?

Done Building Project "C:\BizTalk\Deployment.btdfproj" (Deploy target(s)).

Build succeeded.

"C:\BizTalk\Deployment.btdfproj" (Deploy target) (1) ->(PreprocessBindings target) -> C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\DeploymentFrameworkForBizTalk\5.0\BizTalkDeploymentFramework.targets : 

warning : PortBindings.xml : No matches found for XPath expression '//ApplicationName'. [C:\BizTalk\Deployment.btdfproj]

1 Warning(s)
    0 Error(s)
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Generally you will have an <ApplicationName> element at the end of each <SendPort> and <ReceivePort> when exporting bindings from BizTalk Admin.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't have any, but it's harmless either way.  If you want to make the warning go away, just add <ApplicationName>YourBTAppName</ApplicationName> just before </SendPort> or </ReceivePort>.

Thanks,
Tom

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Thank you for youre reply.

The application doesn't have any send or receive port, all the messages are routed through the orchestration using direct binding. So, there is no <SendPort> element in the XML file.

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM

In that case do you have any need for a bindings file?  If not, you can set <IncludeMessagingBindings>false</IncludeMessagingBindings> in your .btdfproj.

Thanks,
Tom

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Got the same warning for the same scenario.  The reason a bindings file is needed is that there are orchestrations...and they need to be bound to a BizTalk Host.

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Sure, that makes sense.  As I mentioned before, the warning is completely harmless.  Normally it just updates the ApplicationName values in the bindings file to match your actual app name, so if there aren't any it doesn't make any difference.

Thanks,
Tom