Create MSI without deploying

Topics: Getting Started/Beginner
Sep 13, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Hi,

I am trying to use this framework to create just the MSI portion of the process in for our live environment but I can't see the setting that I need to change to stop the project from deploying.  Is there such a setting or have i missed something?

Thanks

c0x3y

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2011 at 10:26 PM

There is a separate menu item and toolbar icon in Visual Studio for creating an MSI for server deployment, which is found alongside the other Deployment Framework for BizTalk menu and toolbar options.  From the command-line using MSBuild, you call the Installer target to create the MSI.

Thanks,
Tom

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:59 AM

That's OK if I want to build it within VS but I want it to build on our TFS build server and then create an MSI.  Is there any way to do that?

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Call MSBuild on your .btdfproj with the Installer target.  There are a number of other posts here about settting up under Team Build, and there's a recent blog post about it too.

Thanks,
Tom

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM

The problem I have is that I don't want to give the build service account access to the biztalk databases so I am not going to add them to the groups.  There does not seem to be a way to setup the build without it trying to deploy or check if the application exists.

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2011 at 9:15 AM

As I mentioned, if you simply run "MSBuild.exe /t:Installer /p:Configuration=Release MyProject.btdfproj" you will end up with the MSI and nothing more.  It will not deploy, and it will not require access to any databases.