This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

basic btfdproj questions

Topics: Getting Started/Beginner
Jan 16, 2012 at 2:43 PM

My company has been using only BizTalk 2006 up to this point and just now starting the process of moving to BizTalk 2010. I use the Scott Colestock NANT-based process for build and deployment in my dev. environment. In the past few days, I have created a Win 7 VM, installed SQL, VS2010, and BizTalk Server 2010 (dev. edition) and the BTDF framework. I have successfully upgraded, compiled and deployed an existing app from 2006 to 2010.

Several questions:

1. It seems I need to start VS2010 in "Run as administrator" in order to deploy. Is this normal or have I screwed up security in my VM setup?

2. My BizTalk solution and projects are set up per the recommendations for BTDF. However, when I generate a new .btdfproj file, it always seems to create a default ItemGroup/Schemas node referencing a non-existent "YourSchemas.dll". Easy enough to delete or comment out. But wondering why it is there and does it indicate that I am not using the tool correctly.

3. Getting some schema warnings in the .btdfproj file. Example: "The element 'PropertyGroup' in namespace 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003' has invalid child element 'Configuration'..." etc.  - Is this expected, or am I missing a schema reference?

Thanks.

Jan 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Hi,

1. That is normal.  Almost everything the deployment process does requires admin rights.  On the server when you run the deployment, you'll get a UAC prompt to elevate to admin if the user doesn't already have admin rights.

2. The YourSchemas.dll bit is just a "TODO" placeholder so you know that you need to make some edits.  I want to point out that the directory and project naming that was required back in 4.x is no longer required in 5.0.  Since you're upgrading you probably have everything in the old structure, and there are some built-in backwards compatibility tricks to make the old structure "just work."  I'm guessing that might be part of your confusion about the schemas placeholder.  Since you can now have the projects named and structured any way that you like, normally you'd need to add various ItemGroup's to point to your various assemblies, rule policies, ESB itineraries, etc.  For schemas, orchestrations, maps, pipelines and a few others, the Framework just assumes the 4.x naming is in place and you don't have to explicitly specify the paths.

3. Completely normal.  You should get IntelliSense for all of the BTDF elements and attributes even if you see those warnings.  In the tooltip help the BTDF items always say "BTDF:" so you can tell them apart from Microsoft items.

Thanks,
Tom