This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Biztalk Project Auto Build,Deploy/Create MSI by using BTDF

Topics: General Questions, Server Deployment, Tips and Tricks, Visual Studio Integration
Feb 22, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Edited Feb 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Hi,

We Have Some Biztalk  Projects Solution in Team Fundation Server and the projects are splited in to different Solution catagories (like sln1.projects.Shemas,sln2.Projects.Maps,sln3.Projects.Orchestrations). And my requirement here is

1.Getting latest from the TFS

2.Auto build the relevent projects (sln1.project_Prj1.Shemas,sln2.Project_Prj1.Maps,sln3.Project_Prj1.Orchestrations)

3.Deploy/Create MSI for the particular project_Prj1 by using BTDF

How can i automated this process? any one can give some sugessions/links/sample codes

Thanks.

Prabakaran.T

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Hi,

You didn't say what version of BizTalk you are using, but with 2009 and newer you can install just the "build" feature from BizTalk on the TFS Team Build server.  You can use the out of the box template to do the build, just like any .NET solution.  Prior to 2009 you'd have to install Visual Studio and BizTalk on the Team Build server and use devenv.exe to do the build.

Are you saying that the artifacts that go into a single BizTalk application are split up across multiple solution files?  If so, you'd have to configure your build workflow/template to build all of the necessary projects across the multiple solutions, then build a Deployment Framework project that pulls the various artifacts together.  The Deployment Framework can handle any kind of physical layout for the application files, so you could certainly create a .btdfproj file that links to files in all these different solutions.  The Visual Studio add-in won't work well in that scenario, but you can certainly get an automated build to work just fine.

Thanks,
Tom

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I have done exactly what you are looking at: a TFS Build script using BTDF that undeploys all of the BizTalk applications in DEV, compiles a solution consisting of multiple BizTalk apps (some using the project naming convention, some not) and deploys it to a DEV BizTalk instance. I then have batch scripts that take those same binaries and deploy them to TEST, QA and PROD using the environment settings feature of BTDF.

I've started a blog post to write all of this up, may need a few more days before it is published as it covers quite a bit of material. I'll post a link here when it is up.