BizTalk Application Undeployment

Topics: Bindings File, Settings Management and SSO, Getting Started/Beginner, IIS and Web Services, Server Deployment
Mar 20, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Hi I've just set up a deployment framework project and seems to work great.

If I undeploy the project by running the MSI, the BizTalk application is not removed and the assemblies are not uninstalled from the GAC. My IIS virtual directory is removed but the IIS application (IIS 7) remains and so does the app pool.

I've read that the app pool is never removed and it doesn't cause an issue with a new install so thats not an issue for me.

What I want to do is delete the biztalk application during an uninstall and remove assemblies from the GAC. I've added this to the btdfproj but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

<Target Name="CustomPostUndeployTarget">
    <Exec Command="BTSTask RemoveApp /ApplicationName:$(ProjectName)" />
    <Exec Command="gacutil.exe /u btscriscard.transforms" />
    <Exec Command="gacutil.exe /u btscriscard.schemas" />
    <Exec Command="gacutil.exe /u btscriscard.orchestrations" />
    <Exec Command="gacutil.exe /u btscriscard.esbproxy" />
  </Target>

The uninstall just completes.

Is this not an extensibility point? Am i doing something wrong?

Any ideas most appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Coordinator
Mar 20, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Hi Andy,

You can delete that CustomPostUndeployTarget.  If you had to do all that work just to undeploy, I might as well just give this project up and spend my time on something else!  :-)  Uninstalling the MSI does not undeploy the app.  If you look in the Start menu, you'll find a folder for your app.  You need to choose the undeploy option first, and once that's complete then uninstall the MSI.

Of course, you can automate everything from scripts once you get used to everything.  There are a bunch of posts here about 100% scripted automation of deployments and undeployments.

Welcome and feel free to ask any other questions!

Thanks,
Tom

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Haha, thanks Tom, will do.

That is awesome! Gone are the days of crazy biztalk deployments. Nice one. I'm well impressed with it. I was deploying everything with custom scripts - no longer!

Thanks,

Andy