This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

InstallUtil and MSBuild 4.0

Topics: Server Deployment
Aug 3, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Hi,

I know this is mostly down as a closed issue but ...  I want to run the InstallUtil tool when my message creation service runs.  The <IncludeInstallUtilForComponents> tag nearly does what I need to do;  I would rather it work for a single project but having it run for a couple of Components projects that have no installer is not so bad..

However it seems to bomb and I guess it is becaue all my new assemblies are .net 4.

I know this is fixed in the actual BTDF 5.0 but I have to run in a modfiiied early version, but is there a workaround I can put in to the targets? i.e. what was the fix that was included?

A seggestion on the issue was to use the MSBuild ToolsVersion attribute to set to .net 4. As he notes this solves the problem but it leaves another problem,  a missing reference for Microsoft.Sdc.Tasks.BizTalk.dll.

Looking at the site that hosts that; it is not supported anymore. :-(

Does this mean BTDF does not run MSBuild 4 really?

Anyone knnow a workaround for a project that does not have the ToolsVersion specified?

It would be great if BTDF could do it to take advantage of the Wix integration.

thanks

mark

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I strongly recommend that you find a way to upgrade to the final V5.0.  However, in your current situation, add the ToolsVersion="4.0" attribute and edit the file Microsoft.Sdc.Common.tasks in the <ProgramFiles>\MSBuild\DeploymentFrameworkForBizTalk\V5.0 folder.  In that tasks file, delete every UsingTask element that includes AssemblyFile="Microsoft.Sdc.Tasks.BizTalk.dll".  That should take care of it.

Thanks,
Tom 

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Tom, thanks very much! that did it.